The Changing Seasons

The Changing Seasons

A Story by Marley
"

This is another prompt piece, only with two options for 'answers.' The changing seasons was the provided prompt. Enjoy. :)

"

Option 1

I can see a tree from this window, when I stand on my tip-toes. It's very uppermost branches barely manage to peek out from behind the side of the hill that blocks most of it's form from me. I know that I can go down the stairs, through the front door in order to walk around that hill, taking in the tree's full glory. That would steal away some of the anymosity of this, though. The tree doesn't know that I'm spying on it from here, watching as it slowly melts from one stage to the next. I wonder if it's staring back at me, counting the wrinkles and gray hairs that will slowly form over time.

The boy, he says that he can't see why I have such an interest in this tree. He doesn't understand that it reminds me of the time that has passed - the time that we share. Every time the leaves turn orange and burn fiery red, dancing like a fire in the lightest breeze, I'm reminded that another year has been spent. When the bare branches are coated with a glistening frost, the sunlight bouncing off happily, I know that it's time to make him a scarf - like always. By the time that the tree starts to gather buds that are due to burst into a spectacular display of pinks, I know it's nearly time to celebrate the day he came into the world. And when the leaves burn in the sun's wavering heat, I know that the ring on my finger has been there another year more.

So each day, I shall pause here to stand on my tip-toes to sneakily admire the tree as it runs through it's cycles. It's only a part of nature's course, but it's become my personal calender.


Option 2

I think I miss you. At least, I did miss you... You see, something has changed inside of me, inside my heart, my mind. I started to add two plus two, and at finally came up with four as the answer. All of this time, my heart has been the one in charge. At last, though, I think logic is taking over. I would just give in every moment that your face crossed my mind, all too easily recalling the gentle curve of your mouth.I would think of you, of me with you, of us. I fell apart every time that I heard your laugh in the middle of the night, my memory playing haunting, taunting tricks on me. In those moments, all I could think of was how warm and safe it was in the gentle embrace of your strong arms, keeping me warm against the chilled winter air outside of the window.

I would think of you, and come undone.

For someone so strong, I would crumble...like some faulty foundation that gave way to the slightest tremor. Your lips against my flesh made my blood boil like the middle of July, reminding me of the night that we met. I remembered the way that we fell, over those autumn months, thirsting to see the other. And winter... Well that was when we were the closest. You would hold me, and I would play with your hair as we laid on the couch, just watching the way that the flames of the fire would dance.

But as winter gave way to spring, things changed, and we...stopped. There were no more tender embraces and loving kisses that said all the words we were too scared to say. This feeling, became too much for us to face, like some secret beneath the snow that soon began to melt. And we ran. No, that wasn't it. You ran, leaving me standing there, broken, still staring at that flame, waiting for it to just burn out...to just give up. It's been a while, now, since then. Spring is fading into summer, and there's no need for a fire to keep me warm at night.

The sun is bright now, with a refreshing breeze riding it's rays. Maybe it's the new breath that I need - that refresher course to breathe new life into me. At first, I thought I would call summer a happy reminder of the moment that I met you. Now, though, it's becoming a new start; a chance to let you go.

© 2010 Marley


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

153 Views
Added on May 21, 2010
Last Updated on May 21, 2010

Author

Marley
Marley

Pocatello, ID



About
I've been writing since I could piece letters together. It's my first love, rivaled only by that of my love for theatre. I write short stories, poems, and I've got some "novels" in the works as si.. more..

Writing
Make 'Em Talk Make 'Em Talk

A Poem by Marley