The Happiest Man on Earth

The Happiest Man on Earth

A Story by Marri
"

constructive criticism always welcome

"

Chopin’s music spills softly over the piles of books on the ground. Piano keys leave warm prints onto the wooden floor, then travel slowly to fill every curve, caress the mahogany painting stand, then crawl up the sheet hung on the window and spill back till they reach her frozen toes. Chilly mornings like this taste like kiwi…and me.


   She feels pain east of her belly-button and a lonely violin string that ricochets from the window and lands in the softness of her belly. Her window breaks the light and paints part of the room in darker red. Chopin’s music spills softer there.


 ‘Hey, hurriedly stripped clothes and expectations belong to the ground.’ she tells me, the shower overdubbing her words.


The condom had broken. In rhythmic passion, I had filled her with wildness that tolerated no suspense.


 

Snap the rubber goes. He knows. Contraction. Pause


 I hadn’t stopped. It wasn’t her. What had made me go on, I mean. It had been the fact that the room had red walls and no electricity. The fact that she still hadn’t moved in and all her books lay on the ground. The fact that candles had spilled dancing rivers towards us. The fact of Chopin. A goose bump is a tune that self-assuredly travels down the lifeline of a palm.


 ‘I need to get a proper bed and curtains’ she says when I get in the room, ‘and if you leave me some money for the after-pill it would be good.’


I wonder where her rawness ebbed. Perhaps, I would have loved her if she said things the same impudent way she had bit me last night. Kali of the night. And her acoustic guilt. There would be no emotional calamities if people knew how to keep in rhythm.


But old gramophones skip.


The coffee stains on the mattress make me ache to take her to breakfast and buy her all the croissants she wants. The tragedy of this world is that people live with details. Coffee stains on the mattress make me yearn to hold her hand on the way for breakfast.


Holding my hand! She thinks, Holding my Hand! 


Just to press this pulsating heart in the middle of her palm. Press her and ravage her and have her melt on the floor like a candle. If she were to refuse putting furniture in her flat, I would love her. Love the velvet of her hair. Love the string of her back. Love that red room and the moans stuck to the walls.


But old gramophones skip and slice the silence open.


***
3243 breaths-in and breaths-out and the nurse still looks hollow-eyed and says nothing. The test is positive.


Snap the rubber goes. He knows. Contraction. Pause


***

A for Agony. I for Irony. D for Death. S for Stupor.
I can’t blink.


***
  

  The bus to Havana is full. It is golden with rust. The glass reflects part of my nose and my mouth and collages them on top of the houses we drive past. My half image stuck to other people’s lives. No need for the other half of my nose, the other half of my mouth. There are three things people underestimate and this seems deadlier to me than the dirt that taints my blood. First, the courage to commit heroism in peaceful times. Second, the power to say ‘no’. Third, the audacity to admit that there was never so much abundance in the choice of direction as when one is lost.  ‘The black widow…’ hums the driver, ‘the black widow of the past left behind…ahead a death row’…and me? I am here. Living. Now. A toothless grandma laughs three seats away from me. Havana lies ahead. My lungs are full with summer, my blood with death.

 

                        

© 2013 Marri


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Your words - live ... they move , they breathe , and it is not how you write, but how you express - catching every glint of light and shattered edge of shadows and weave them into our own experiences upon this blue globe ... amazing ..



Posted 11 Years Ago


Marri

11 Years Ago

thank you, I do find other things on this website which will live and shine bright long after we are.. read more
oh goodness this is a masterpiece, Marri.... it's just how i imagine art to be.... the pieces are everywhere for us.. and it doesn't have to be completed, the picture is formed in infinite ways... i was so afraid of reading that last paragraph..... is he... gone? the three things that people underestimate.... absolutely mind-blowing!!! that is some creative genius. i really do feel like weeping..... this reaches for the jugular of the soul.....

Posted 11 Years Ago


Circe

11 Years Ago

you're in the top most talented artists i've ever read!
Marri

11 Years Ago

admiration is reciprocated fully. When I think of you, as a person who I never met personally, I oft.. read more
Circe

11 Years Ago

hahahaha it is just as you describe... washing and preparation... that is the task of life but our m.. read more
i'm floored because this is one of those things i wish i had written. would you take my jealousy as a compliment, please? :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Marri

11 Years Ago

you are one of the people whose comments I would always take as compliment: be them criticism, advic.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 8, 2013
Last Updated on January 10, 2013

Author

Marri
Marri

Bremen, Germany



About
http://www.marrri-nikolova.tumblr.com/ 'If I knew myself, I'd run away...' I pick a word, phrase, sentence, sometimes even a whole chunk of text from what I wrote yesterday, the day be.. more..

Writing
Grapes Grapes

A Poem by Marri



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


lino print lino print

A Chapter by Jay