The Present

The Present

A Story by Marty Herrick
"

A Sherlock minific inspired by Molly Hooper and Jim. And a little red box.

"

     Molly inched forward down isle after isle, scrutinizing everything on the shelf with a care that, usually only her 'patients would see. She filled through isle after isle of clothing, gifts and gadets for hours. Finnaly she stopped, in the middle of the gadgets, and silently screamed at herself. This was impossible. Nothing seemed to fit him. Not clothes, not gadgets, not anything. Only a few hours before the party, and still she had nothing. She had been to five different stores already. If she didn’t find something soon she’d have to give up the party entirely. How would she justify that dress without a party? She’d have to return it. And what about the make up?

     Molly was so lost in thought that she didn’t see the wall of black coat in front of her until she was walking through it. Well, not exactly through. More like into.

     “Oh! I’m so sorry I wasn’t paying attent. . . Jim?”  She asked. She hadn’t recognized the dark coat and expensive looking suit. He looked good. Better than good.

     “Molly.” Jim said in a sing song voice, dragging out the y.

     “I didn’t expect to see you here!” Molly gushed, “I thought you had moved or something. You disappeared from the office so suddenly.”

     “Has anyone ever told you to shut up, Molly?” Jim sang again. This was getting odd. This wasn’t Jim. Molly could feel herself start to fumble over words and start to blush.

     “A-are you alright Jim? You sound, um, different.”

     Suddenly Jim was right in her face, closer than they had been in months. He looked furious. Crazy. He growled at her like some kind of dog.

     “Shut UP, Molly!”

          All she could do was nod. A red flash caught her eye from his pocket. It must be his phone, but her mind raced to all sorts of terrible things. She felt scared just to look at him.

Molly was certain someone would stop at that. Of course they would. Anyone could see that she was in trouble, right? That this new Jim was dangerous. He seemed so different, so angry.  But the people in the store just flowed around them. No one looked at them twice for asked if she was okay. They were all too busy shopping to notice a girl and her creepy ex-boyfriend. Jim leaned back a bit and ranted on.

     “I mean seriously! What is your problem? Do you just have an inability to shut up? I have never been more bored than when I was with you. And you still somehow think you can interest Sherlock Holmes?

     Molly felt her eyes well up with tears, and she had to look down quickly to make sure she hadn’t actually been stabbed. She couldn’t move, couldn’t run or speak. It was like listening to Sherlock, but worse. Jim didn’t stop there.

     “Oh, and now you’re going to cry?!” He stage whispered in his singsong voice. “People like you disgust me. Emotional little insects. And you think you have a chance with Sherlock! It’s almost funny. Almost.”

     Molly kept her mouth shut. That was the best plan, she thought. Maybe if she was quiet he would leave. Let her go. Let her forget. Like dealing with an angry bear.  But it didn’t work. Jim didn’t move either. Just stood there, more menacing than any animal.

     “Speaking of our darling boy, how is Sherlock? Does he ask about me? Hmmm? ANSWER ME!”

     Molly jumped and started a fluster of words.

    “I-I-I don’t see h-him in the m-m-morgue as m-much. He still, still uses the lab for e-e-experiments though. I-I don’t know i-if he’s asked about " about-“

     A look from Jim cut her off. She felt frozen.  You’re here to get him what? A present?”

    Molly stayed frozen, not wanting to give anything away. But she was sure she had already given up more than enough for this Jim. Something she was wearing, doing, the fact that she was even here. Something that told him everything he needed to know.

     “Let me do you a favor, Molly. Let me save you a little trouble. I’ve got just the thing you need.”

     He moved his hand to his pocket, and she felt herself stiffen, but all he handed her was a black cardboard box. he smiled in a way that she always thought was sweet, almost an apology for what he had started. 

     “What is-“

     “Oh, it’s nothing you need to worry about. Just, be prepared to pay me back, hmm?”

      Molly nodded a bit, looking at the box like a treasure. She didn’t know what to say.

     “Thank- oh.” She started. But when she looked up, the new Jim was gone. Molly looked up and down isles and boutiques, but saw no trace of him. She would have searched longer, but there was a present to wrap, and that dress to get into, and how was she going to do her makeup? 

© 2012 Marty Herrick


Author's Note

Marty Herrick
It's inspired by a tumblr post, and I am new to fanfic. sorry?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

! 166 views! Please leave a review if you like it!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

536 Views
1 Review
Added on January 4, 2012
Last Updated on February 27, 2012
Tags: Sherlock BBC, Sherlock, fanfic

Author

Marty Herrick
Marty Herrick

About
I read. Then I write. Then I read some more. I play Music and sing, and then read some more. Mostly I read, and I think it's good practice for writting. more..

Writing
Molly Molly

A Screenplay by Marty Herrick