An Englishman speaks to America

An Englishman speaks to America

A Poem by Matthew Dixon

I can’t resist the gravely slow raw chug of your idling V8 engine.
Your brazen American complexion is built to rule the roads and surpass all obstacles.
And when I touch you, your pungent oily hubris leaks like hell's fire as if you were a bull being tormented by a matador.
Yet you wait with unbridled optimism, wild and savage you look on as if I wasn’t there.

Why do you make me want to labor at your joints with welders, and strip away to your furnace until I have your oil in my blood?
How is it you give me the urge to demanufacture you and put you back together so that you are twice the strength you were?
You attract the most fertile of my mind and eagerly set it to work day and night.
Was your way of corrupting my European sensibilities to simply reflect my ambition back at me through your polished chrome?
Why do I so freely submit to your control when I’ve always been a man who had to conquer everything?

And then in the late hours, I realize, that I foolishly projected a persona onto you that is only partially what I want to be.
Unstoppable, boundless, heroic and exuding alpha, Yes! But always unremorseful and steely in conduct, No!


You are wasteful, gluttonous and greedy to every last drop - you either kick and scream or ignore me when I try to steer you.
Your incessant need to spin a web of your own self-image has trapped a culture of media consumerists.
Your gaping holes at the center look ever more void the more I stare at them, yet your fringes glow and light up the sky.

And we both stained each other in our desire for each others' parts.

You led me into the digital age and I served quaint refinement on a silver platter to you and fed your fondness for a royal family with my chivalry and decorum.

You ground me through the mills of capitalism, yet left me in tact, even stronger, like a lion toying with its pray. I gave you this mirror, my mind and waxed lyrical your visionary spirit.

America, didn’t we both come out a winner?

© 2016 Matthew Dixon


Author's Note

Matthew Dixon
This is the first poem that I have made public but I've written dozens through out my life when I am not doing math. Please kindly look favorably at my grammatical and syntax errors. Humans are more forgiving than computers aren't they? I'm a mathematician/computer scientist so used to writing equations and coding.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

33 Views
Added on February 10, 2016
Last Updated on February 10, 2016
Tags: americanism, britishness, englishness, musclecars, multi-culturalism

Author

Matthew Dixon
Matthew Dixon

Chicago, IL



About
I'm a PhD Mathematician and Professor, from England, that might have a poet trapped inside me. more..