Not a laughing matter

Not a laughing matter

A Poem by Matilda 3000
"

Random nonsense!

"
He was a serious man with a distaste for drama. If a job needed doing, he would get it done.

He climbed up to fix that pesky leak. Upon the roof he did not hear the children conspire.

"Take the ladder!"
Oh, how they squealed with devious joy!

He did not call for help, or cause a frightful scene. His nature would not allow it.

Occasionally his wife missed him but never again did her ceiling drip.

© 2017 Matilda 3000


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
Lol, like this muchly. She'll miss him when the bins need putting out.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Alright, heads up: not much of a poetry person, though this piece may be close enough in some regards for me to actually chime in on. My overall impression, though, is that the piece is pleasantly light-hearted and yet a tad dark; a combination I like seeing.

That said, I have a couple points to make, do with them as you will.

The first one I noticed had to do with the adjective "devious". From my reading, the word "conspire" makes the adjective a tad unnecessary. (Part of me also wants to say that the inclusion of "devious" in that construct might weaken the line, but I can't rightly say; just my read of it). I'll say this is a stylistic decision, overall.

I'm going to use the second sentence to touch on something more tired to story writing than poetry, so if you don't have interest in putting together a story, feel free to ignore this coming paragraph.
The complex sentence "If a job needed doing, he would get it done" can be considered a bit clunky towards the end. The decision to use the verb "get" forces you to make certain choices with the surrounding words (the introduction of "would" to create the phrase "would get" for example). By changing this verb you could get new ways to write a sentence, some of which with a better feel or sound to them.
An adjacent point, same sentence, is that certain word choices require more words to make work than others. Taking "get" and changing it to "got" allows you to remove "would" (and the sentence would become "If a job needed doing, he got it done"). There are dozens upon dozens of ways to write a single sentence, play around with them and see what sounds best to you.

Those are the only statements I have to offer, though I will reiterate that the end is a nice, dark little twist.

Posted 6 Years Ago


The sounds of a mind playing "What if..."

Posted 6 Years Ago


Ha ha ha ... very good. I could just image him waving to the neighbours and them just waving back thinking ... "Mr D.I.Y. is at it again"! Kudos ..

Posted 6 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Matilda 3000

6 Years Ago

Haha thank you for the review and that was the exact image I was going for. Glad you enjoyed 😊
Days gone by.. People who see a problem and fix it. They don't need a lot fluff. They show love by their deeds, but the wife wanted more emotional displays of affection, but did appreciate her handy man. Thanks for the reminders of my childhood.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Matilda 3000

6 Years Ago

Thank you for stopping by and the thoughtful review! 😊
This piece is simple yet sweet in my eyes. Keep it up!!!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Matilda 3000

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much! 😊
Must say.. Last line came out of nowhere and hit a spot..like things in life usually do.. Things that initially seem trivial fun can have foreboding consequences never dreamed of! You can certainly put a spin to a tale. Fine job with this. Hope to read more of your work. 👍

Posted 6 Years Ago


Matilda 3000

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reading and taking the time to review
Not a laughing matter indeed... May the pity soul lay to rest... a very imaginative piece...

Posted 6 Years Ago


Matilda 3000

6 Years Ago

Thank you very much for your review. I am glad you enjoyed it!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

283 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 14, 2017
Last Updated on June 14, 2017

Author

Matilda 3000
Matilda 3000

United Kingdom



About
I am brand spanking new to writing. I started s few weeks ago following some significant changes in my life and now I can't stop. If you can spare the time to read and review my writing I would.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Sapphire Sapphire

A Poem by B