Rituals

Rituals

A Story by MattHeston

Rituals, each person has their own. Our own superstitions. The habits we dare not break. Jill had hers. Each night she would have to lock every door, each and every one. This may sound like a harmless foible or even a sub-conscience action, and for most it would be. But even the mere thought of breaking this habit made Jill sick. At the mentioning of such a sin as to go against this sacred ritual, Jill would almost hyperventilate, and at the market, Jill’s fried Viv did just that.

    Viv was a sweet girl, a caring one too, but some would say she cared a bit too much. She was nosy. Always butting into every one's god damn business and bitching at them ‘til they did what she said. “You need to see a therapists.” Informed Viv. Being the naturally rebellious type, Jill retorted, “No, not me.”
“Yes you!” Said Viv in an only slightly playful voice
“Why? Just because  I lock my doors every night? I don’t want anyone breaking into my home.”
“Oh yeah,” Said Viv with a sarcastic tone. “I forgot about the dangers. C’mon Jill, we live in a small town where everyone knows everyone and they’re always watching each other’s backs.”

    They did too. They about crucified the Henson boys when they were caught shop lifting. The town is small enough that one could completely over look it on a map if their thumb was over it.

    The center of activity for the town was the park. It wasn’t a very big park. It was made entirely of trash, people, and an odd statue right in the middle of it. The statue stood about eight feet tall and was of a man standing in a rather dignified pose. The whole statue was very cocky. All but the eyes. The eyes had a rather humble look to them, they looked almost frightened. Some say that they see a single tear in its eyes, which is ridiculous, of course.

    Jill eventually gave in to Viv’s demands. Everyone always did or they’d regret it, and she’d make sure of it too. The damn shrink told Jill exactly what she was afraid he would. He told her that she had to leave every door unlocked. She dreaded the thought.

    That night she reluctantly did what the doctor ordered.She was not happy about it. Around seven it began to get dark. She sat in her living room in her arm chair. The T.V was the only light in the room, she began to watch with growing disinterest.

    Her throat got very dry and she began to get parched. She stood from her chair and began to walk to the kitchen to get some water. As she walked through the living room she glanced out the window, a very quick peek. Though it was pitch dark out she thought she something, she didn’t know what, but something was out there.

    She moved the drape that covered half of the window to get  better look. At first she saw nothing, bu when she looked closer she saw movement. The movement was a very subtle, yet very fixating dance. She gave this barely visible dance her full attention.

    As she watched a tiny bead of sweat trickled down her neck and back. She wasn’t scared but fascinated with this dance. The dancer called to her. She had to go out side. Suddenly, her once paralyzed body was filled with life as she flung the door open to run out and meet the dancer.
   
    She was met instead with an invisible wall.She was knocked on her a*s, and back into reality,instantaneously. “What am I doing here?” She asked herself as got up. She jogged up the stairs to go to bed.

    She got out of her day clothes and into her pajamas. As she lies there she began to become increasingly afraid and increasingly aware of a presence. The darkness that was once out side entered her room. Jill tried to scream but her throat was again dry. She tried to run but she was paralyzed.

    As the darkness accepted the invitation of the unlocked doors and entered her room, it began to ouch Jill. It stared  her leg and moved its hand up to her thigh, then to her midsection, then o her neck. It moved the hair that covered her neck and bent down. It bit down with sharp fangs and punctured her skin and her vein.

    The darkness began to feast on the blood of Jill. It drank til it had its fill and then it left. As the sun tarted to rise the darkness receded, leaving the cold, dead body of Jill on her bed, forever to sleep.

© 2012 MattHeston


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

good riddance
....sometimes its just so nice reading all these in a perfect solitude
=]

Posted 12 Years Ago


Intriguing read....
top work

Posted 12 Years Ago


Indeed chilling and so full of mystery.... I would look forward to read a sequel of this one.....

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is chilling. This creature could not have been a vampire, because A: a vampire must be invited in, and B: once invited it does not need an open door or window.
These suggestions: Out side should be outside, not two words.
"sub-conscience action" should probably be "subsconscious";" o her neck" ?;"(bu){but} when she looked closer she saw movement";"As the sun( tarted){started} to rise the darkness receded"

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 5, 2012
Last Updated on February 5, 2012

Author

MattHeston
MattHeston

Bennet, NE



About
Im just a young ( young being 15) writer/ comedian trying to get better. more..

Writing