The Kiss of Death

The Kiss of Death

A Story by American Kid
"

A Nun believes God is telling her to do something- something horrible- it is a scary story that will leave your mind twisting!

"

There was a line in front of the soup kitchen that about 12 Nuns worked as they made the final preparations for the food. They helped a population in a society that was often overlooked.  Every day- the sisters from Saint Bethany- would fix a large meal for those that needed something to eat. That day, these misfortunate would find that there is a greater misfortune than hunger.

The soup kitchen doors opened, and people who wanted to eat a hearty meal before returning to the lonely streets- they rushed in and lined up. 

You would not understand the desperation of these poor souls to be fed if you saw them- pushing and pulling, as people literally fought for their place in the line for the free food. 

“Be nice everybody- we got food for all of you,” Hollered Sister Ann. “Trust me- you will be stuffed!” People relaxed as they listened to her calm and reassuring voice.

One of the nuns took the very first plate- and slopped mash potatoes on it, and passed it along the food line that consisted entirely of nuns. The next Nun would place meatloaf on the plate, and the plate would be moved again and well- you get the point. Finally, the person who wanted nothing more than this a hot meal reached their arms out for the plate, and  Sister Ann would hand lay it in their hands. “God is with you,” She would say with such a reassuring smile- life almost seemed okay for many of these people at that moment.

This would go on for 30 minutes until everybody had a plate and then all you could hear- the rattling of knives and forks- the smack of lips and grunts as these sad souls ate the food. 

Although the meal, would not look appetizing to any average person- these people had no complaint. For many of them, they were grateful to be in a heated room.

There were not any words muttered as the meal was devoured. The Nuns looked on with a deep curiosity, and Sister Ann did something she had never done before- she walked among the people as she recited scripture.

Sister Ann was an old woman, and despite the modern times, she wore a veil over her head. If you asked anybody: She was a faithful servant of God and severed humanity with grace. Yet, as she got older, her ability to reason was beginning to fade. She was starting to lose her mind. The very mind that God gave her.

Suddenly a man started coughing violently. He stood up and grabbed his throat as he motioned for help. It was more than apparent that he could not breathe. At first, nobody noticed, but as he hit the ground and struggled to breathe- the sound of- forks- knives- went silent. The smacking of lips- it all stopped, but Sister Ann acted swiftly. 

She ran towards the man and kissed him on the cheek as she began to recite Psalm 23:1-8. “…Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”

Yet, by this time the whole room was filled with people banging on tables and grabbing their necks, just wanting to breathe. They came into the soup kitchen wanting nothing but food, and now they were in a dismal panic as they realized there was something even greater than food- life.

“Sisters,” Ms. Ann motioned, “Please, come help.”

Before long all the nuns walked about the room speaking scripture as they gave the dying some final words before they met their creator. 

Sister Ann would go to each and every individual and kiss their cheek. They were all dead, and after all the commotion settled and it was over, Sister Ann rose her hands into the air as she praised God, and spoke in a dignified tone,

“I am your servant! I have done what you have asked me!”

She believed God instructed her to do poison the meals, and by doing this- she would be taking away the lives of these troubled people- she was releasing them a life of grand misfortune. This was God’s desire and she was his servant. She could never disobey anything that God wanted- she had devoted her whole life to him.

However, 60 dead bodies are not easy to hide, nor did Sister Ann want to hide them. In fact, the Nuns locked the door as if it was just another night. They all felt they were doing Gods will. And after the soup kitchen was closed, it was cleaned, and the nuns left. They left as if nothing wrong had occurred- they left as if the 60 bodies were not going to be noticed.

The following day, she was to speak to the congregation about the outreach programs she had set up to serve the local people that were desperately in need of help.

She would stand on the podium, before the congregation, and say, “God came to me! He did! ” she said with such a pleasant smile, and a graceful tone and the congregation was eager to hear more. As she continued onward, the audience sat in their seats and just stared at her- in fact, nobody moved or fidgeted. The congregation just stared as if they heard a bad joke. But it wasn’t. Sister Ann did not notice the congregation's district alarm, and she continued to talk- the smile on her face- never fading.

Yes, she would be arrested, and in time her fate would be the same of those she had killed.

Perhaps God really did speak to her? Or perhaps she was crazy? Regardless, this would never save her in court. She refused to give an insanity plea, and in fact, she insisted on testifying and as she told the jours the enlightenment that God gave her while she prayed early that morning. She said,  “That God himself had told her to follow through with her actions.” Much like the church- the Jurors just stared at her in awe.

In the final moments, she was read the very scripture that she read to others.  Yet, who would kiss her cheek? 

© 2017 American Kid


Author's Note

American Kid
The ending was a very important and symbolic of the entire piece. I think the reader will value and excitement throughout the entire short story. It was created as a modern Twilight Zone.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
Added on September 3, 2017
Last Updated on September 3, 2017
Tags: scary, the catholic church, Does God speak to people, short story, Dramatic

Author

American Kid
American Kid

LA



About
I have a degree in English, have ghost written a lot of articles and books. In addition, I have worked at newspapers, and I publish my own material. My present manuscript is almost ready- I always use.. more..

Writing