Sapphire Ice

Sapphire Ice

A Story by MayoCat

     Why?

            When?

            How?

            These are very generic questions.

            These should also be very easy to answer, except, they’re not.

            For example, why did it happen?  When did it happen?  How did it happen?

You can’t answer a question you know nothing about, can you?

            Especially when both your past and future have been stolen away, to forever remain a mystery to the people of today.

<><><><><><> 

            Three knocks at her door.

            Panic!

            Sava slipped her diary under her large coat.  “Come in!” She yelled.

            A proper lady wearing a lumpy red dress walked in the grey room which harbored only one window for light.  Her hand raised and in a split second came within centimeters of slapping her face.  “Rule 4: Always speak in a calm motion.  Excitement is a lie your brain tells the body.”  Sava stood tall.  “Not that this matters anymore. You’re officially being released from the C.R.R family today.  I can’t believe it’s only been three years since she died. I’m surprised you even recovered at all in that short amount of time.”

            The C.R.R family, or the Correction Facility Family, is a corporation which takes in children who have lost their mother and/or father by means of government action.  For example, if their parents knew something like a military secret or something the government wants hidden, then the parents are simply killed.  The government doesn’t try negotiating anymore with people who don’t have Dew because no one trusts anyone else.  How can you trust someone not knowing what they are thinking?  That’s why everyone has the device, Dew, planted in them that makes them say the truth of their thoughts.  My parents never had these installed in them.  My dad was a scientist who was killed when his co-workers found out about his secret.  My mother had nothing but knowledge of the past, predictions for the future, and me.  Three strikes and she was out.

             There are five subject sections.   Area Subject Rose, Area Subject Air, Area Subject Sin, The C.R.R government�"and Area Subject 14.  Area Subject Rose is for the wealthy, privileged people, who are most definitely seen as royalty and the luckiest out of the five.  Area Subject Air is for the average, poverty-stricken people, breathing air they believe is being wasted when it could be given to the Roses.  Area Subject Sin is for, simply, the sinners; the people the government didn’t even waste time killing, instead sending them to a torture chamber so they could forever be reminded that their existence is as important as rats.  Finally, Area Subject 14, which is inhabited by the orphans the C.R.R taught.  No one knows, but the orphans are the only ones allowed to not have Dew installed in them.  Also unknown, they do not have to follow the standard laws.  Instead, the orphans make their own rules and live by their heart instead of by their words.   If you asked any person, anyone but an Orphan, to rank the most admirable subject section to the least they would say, “C.R.R, Rose, Air, Sin, and then 14.”

            The massive, ornate door creaked open, exposing Area Subject 14, an unknown paradise with everything the Roses have and more . . . a “special” privilege only appointed to Orphans.  Sava was thrown inside and the heavy doors behind her were quickly shut, as the watchers were afraid they would catch a disease from being around a 14.  Her fingers closed around her dairy, folded inside her coat.  Ironically, she had house number 14 and started walking, following the designated path to her destination.  On her way, she approached a sign with an ‘X’ painted edge to edge.  It read:

1)     Lying is forbidden

2)     Stealing or mistreating people are forbidden (C.R.R is the only exception)

3)     Everyone in your section is the same . . . names are unimportant

4)     Speak in a calm motion

5)     Obey the rules

6)     Be obedient . . . do as you’re told

            “Good thing I don’t have to follow them anymore because I wouldn’t ever, even after death!  Innocent people don’t deserve a cruel life.  Especially not mom . . . why did she have to die?”  Sava sniffled.

            “Good, I thought you were a fake for a second.”

            “A f-fake?  Why?  Who are you?”  Sava stumbled backwards.

            “Sometimes one of the Roses fakes a traumatic death of a family member to get in here.  You seemed unfazed by the luxury so I was a little suspicious that’s all.”

            “I just think this is a pointless luxury, that’s it.”

            “Would you rather spend your life with the Sinners or Airs?”  Deon asked.

            “I was simply making a statement, that’s all.  I never said that.”  Sava snorted, feeling annoyed.

            “Ok, ok, don’t be so formal!  I know that the C.R.R taught you all about the lies and the rules but, now that you’re here, it’s ok to forget all of that.  This might be a little suffocating to have thrown on you all at once, but since we’re friends, it will be easy to cope with.”

            “Who said we were friends?”

            “I did.  Listen, many people here lie.  Many people these days can talk to another person and not care at all what response the other person gives back to them.  Friends shield you from the harsh reality of life the C.R.R has forced on us.”

            “Why would they force us into a world like this?”

            “Because the weak people flock to the strong people.  The more scared and uncertain people become, the more they rely on the C.R.R to protect them . . . anyways, we’re friends now, yes?  I should tell you my name then.  I’m Deon.  And you?”

            “Is it ok to tell me your name, let alone have one?”  Sava stood bewildered.

            “Hah!  And you don’t have a name?”  Deon laughed.

            “Ah . . . I do.  It’s Sava.”

            “Well then are you ready, Sava?”

            “What do you mean?”

            Deon smirked.  “You’ll see.”

            Deon helped her find her apartment, and when she walked in her door, on her table, she found a silver box with a tag attached which read, “To Sapphire.  From Mama.”  Sava gasped and opened the box.  Inside she found a tear-drop shaped crystal blue sapphire and a letter which read:

To my precious Jewel,

   I am going to answer your questions after a very long wait.  “It” is the past.  “It” is also an event that happened in the past, which C.R.R is afraid of and erased.  “It” happened because in the past a girl named Levace found something she shouldn’t have.  She found knowledge.  Knowledge of a thing the government was hiding called Time Travel, which allowed you to move through time, forward and backwards. The year was 2020 when she found this and was killed shortly after.  I know this because Levace was my mother, and she told me before she was killed.  I am probably dead, too, by the time you are reading this in your 14 apartment. I am writing this in the year 2070.  I will be killed in one hour.  You have the power, the knowledge now to change the world.  Find your strength.  Find your partner.  And no matter what, never forget and never surrender.                            

With kisses,   Mama

            Sava quietly whispered, “Thank you.”  Squeezing the letter tightly in her arms, she let tears roll off her checks.  Then after a few moments she placed the letter in her pocket.

            Three knocks on the door.    

            “C’mon Sava!  I’m gonna show you around.”  Deon yelled through the door.

            She grabbed the Sapphire, full of imperfections, from the silver box and yelled back, “Coming!”

            And so, Sava, the head-strong yet confused girl, set out with Deon, her mysterious new friend, to prepare herself for the many questions still needing answers.

© 2014 MayoCat


Author's Note

MayoCat
Please give feed back ^0^ It helps me understand the reader's point of view more. Positve and negative comments are appreciated :3

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

256 Views
Added on October 15, 2014
Last Updated on October 20, 2014

Author

MayoCat
MayoCat

Berea, KY



About
Heyy! I'm kinda bad at these but i'll try my best! Here's some basic info about me: *I AM REALLY BAD AT UPDATING I AM SORRY* Some of my favorite things are: -Music -Cats -Anime -M.. more..

Writing
:One: :One:

A Chapter by MayoCat


You and I You and I

A Poem by MayoCat