Terrible Things

Terrible Things

A Story by Meg Grande
"

Jamie fell in love with a girl by seeing her in cafe. He thought that he would never have a chance to be with her. They got married and have a child. In life, it'll find a way to separate you.

"
We had been looking for the real meaning of life, but life actually looking for the real us. You think you want to end life but life just wanted to start again. We’re just starting. I was starting in the beginning.

        I can’t help myself looking at her outside the café. She has a dark brown hair and waves as the air pass by. Her perfect face made me memorize her eyes, nose and lips. Her lips painted in light red.
        
         It has been one week since I saw her here every day. Unluckily, she had a guy to see. A guy that looks a twice her age but good looking. I couldn’t have any chance, I might say. But I just had begun. I only started.
       
         After they talk, they gave each other a handshake and the guy had gone. Being too much looking at her, I notice her looked at me. My eyes got widen and she walks into my table in the corner. Here, my heart beats fast. I can barely breathe and think what to say if she approaches me. She’s finally in front of me, holding her hand bag and started to smile.
        
        “I can't help to notice you starring at me.” She starts.
        
        “I-I, uh,” I murmurs, trying to complete the words to say.
        
        “I can tell by your eyes that you like me,” She adds.
        
        “I know that I couldn’t because you had a boyfriend.”

        She laughs and sits on my side. I can smell her perfume. I can’t feel my knees but all I know that I was shaking.

        “I don’t,” She sadly says. “I’m Katie.”
        
        “I’m Jamie.”
        
        She nods and sips a cup of tea in the table and takes a deep breath.

        “I think we should see more often.”
        
        ***
       
          5 YEARS LATER
 
        Katie and I are now more than friends. I must say she is the best thing that ever happened to me all my life. I can't stop thinking of her when we were in between three years or four years. As I was lying on my bed that day, I was thinking of her situation or does she misses me. Most of the time we got drunk and had fun, tell about our stories that only both of us knows, we kept sharing our dreams and challenging ourselves for fun. She was more than I expected at first. We have a lot in common. So in these five years, I know most of women were waiting for men’s four words and spend the rest of their lives to them. There, we meet happily ever after, don’t we? Love was a story that couldn’t compare so I wouldn’t waste the chance.
              
          She was now lying in my arms under the stars. I made something that I know she would like but not so grand. It’s not like anything big with a crew. I like it better just two of us, just me and Katie.
              
        I pulled out a box out of my pocket and gave it to her. She sits with an excitement. It was made by paper and stings. She smiled and accepted the present. It wasn’t anything like her birthday or mine, not even holiday. But this will be different and special for the both of us. This time, I wouldn’t let her go.
         She finally rips the paper from the present.

         “What is this?” She asks as she giggles.

        "Just open it now.” I answer.
        
        I can see the reaction in her face. I can feel that she was overwhelmed on what it is. She looks at me with teary eyes. She was quietly sobbing on my side and I finally grab the ring from the box.
               
         “Katie, I’m asking you please.” I say and knelt. “You know that I love you, will you marry me?”
               
         She nods and still sobbing. When I rise from my position, she hugs me.
               
        After then, we talk about the wedding plans for the few months.

        ***
        Jamie isn’t just a married man but also a father. I have one and only son. Katie and I are sitting in the couch, watching the fire as the snow blows outside. Our son was on my arms, peacefully sleeping. She holds my hand and I can tell it was cold. She sighs.
               
         “Jamie,” She says. “Can I tell you a terrible thing?”
               
        I fooled and ask about if it did she caught me cheating. But it was a joke. We both laugh and take a sip on our teas.
               
        “It seems that I’m sick and I only got few weeks.”
               
        I didn’t have chance to response but my tears do. It flows through my cheek and drops out of my jacket. She wipes it with her palm.
               
        “Don’t cry,” She cries. “You’re the greatest thing that had ever happened to me.”
               
        She kisses our son’s forehead and cry.

        ***
       
         “Son,” I say. “It would keep your time slow, so slow to fall in love and left. I pray to God and ask if He may show you different thing unlike mine. I can't bear to see the same happen to you.”
       
         He looks at me and smiled.
        
        “Now, son,” I intended. “I’m only telling you this because life can do terrible things.”

© 2015 Meg Grande


Author's Note

Meg Grande
I hope you like it! I know it's short but yeah. I got inspired by Mayday Parade's song. It's beautiful. What do you guys think of it? xx

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
Added on May 24, 2015
Last Updated on May 24, 2015
Tags: Love, Romance, Teen, Cafe

Author

Meg Grande
Meg Grande

Dasmariñas City, Cavite, Philippines



About
I like reading, writing and singing. I love 5sos and Ariana Grande. I'm mostly called 'fangirl.' more..