The Pusher Man

The Pusher Man

A Story by Mehameha
"

Inner turmoil short with wicked twist at the end.

"

"Move!"

The voice behind me was quick and curt. So down the hall I moved toward my bedroom. The light was on and I wheeled my way to the side of my bed.

"Now, take a shower and get dressed."

How rude I thought. I don't want to get ready for anything I just want to stay home.

I also didn't like conflict so I decided the shower would be OK and maybe he would change his mind and I could just stay home and curl up with a good book or a favorite movie. But no such luck. The outfit he wanted me to wear was waiting on the bed after I returned to my chair and wheeled myself back to the bed. Feeling clean and refreshed I didn't want to spoil the mood by arguing my reasons for staying, even though it was my birthday. Shouldn't I be the one to decide what I wanted to do?

"You look nice. Now Get in the truck."

Well I guess I did look nice. I folded the chair and lifted it behind me stashing it behind the driver's seat. We drove across the canal bridge and arrived at the oceanfront restaurant. The night was windy but warm and we got a table twelve feet from the shore. I suppose I was grateful now that I was there. It was a beautiful night and the two musicians only twenty-five feet off my starboard bow where pretty good.

 "Are you enjoying this so far?"

That voice somehow seemed less abrupt after placing my order. Well I must admit that I was starting to like the idea of being here. The server was nice and the prawns and pupus were exceptional. The music was lulling me into submission. Two drake mallards were constant beggars at my feet but they were out of luck here and I ignored them. It was my birthday after all and I was forced to be here. I wasn't feeling gracious. As I savored each delicious course and sat back surveying my captive presence I began to realize how beautiful my world was slowly becoming. The drug was beginning to overtake me. The once forceful voice became a calm soothing comfort to my ears.

"That's better. You are much better now. Relax enjoy take it all in."

There were no actual drugs but the effect was the same. The resistance to come to the restaurant was followed by quiet resolve, once the improved senses took over my will. My Pusher Man was in control again. I relaxed and let all my senses come alive. I was alone now. The voice was gone.

I was glad I took the time to go out alone on my birthday. Thank God for the Pusher Man. I never would have had such an enjoyable evening had I ignored him and stayed home alone.

© 2016 Mehameha


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

We need people and people need us.
"I was glad I took the time to go out alone on my birthday. Thank God for the Pusher Man I never would have had such an enjoyable evening had. I ignored him and stayed home alone."
We need our Pusher Man. Keep us alive and involved in life. Thank you for sharing the story.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

59 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 29, 2016
Last Updated on August 5, 2016
Tags: Short story.

Author

Mehameha
Mehameha

Honolulu, HI



About
Classical guitarist, short story writer, woodworker, disabled in wheelchair. Today I return to homelessness. 5/16/17 more..

Writing
The Box The Box

A Poem by Mehameha


Gum Gum

A Poem by Mehameha