The Hunting Party

The Hunting Party

A Story by Spectra Nox
"

This is just a quick and on the spot story.

"

"Can't you think this through? Hunting animals is just unnecessary. We have plenty food at home" I say, almost pleading. We rarely saw eye-to-eye.

 

Mikael impishly grinned at me before sticking his tongue out and winking. He had a large sleek black compound bow in his hands, with a fluro pink arrow notched.

 

"Please, Don't you dare look out your window, Darling everything's on fire." He sings, in a high pitched tone.

 

I raise both my eyebrows, before playfully punching him in the arm.

 

"You know. If this wasn't so serious, I would think that ya serenading me" I tell him, as he takes his stand.

 

"Sssh" He whispers, focusing on a fat buck that just happened to be passing by. I watch as he shoots his arrow, just hitting it's flank.

 

He drops his bow, were most of our supplies were and chases after the deer, who is fleeing.

 

I watch in horror as the buck, begins to stumble and eventually fall down. I could see Mikael leaning over it, but the thick grass prevented me from seeing the action going on.

 

I start to run towards them, flailing my arms everywhere. I was totally against this.

 

"Mikael!" I shout, cupping my hands around my mouth to project my voice. He turns to me with a serious look and I can see a metal object glinting in his hand.

 

A knife.

 

I surge forward and reach Mikael and the buck. It's flailing it's legs, but remains immobile. I leap infront of it and stand protectively over it.

 

Mikael doesn't look the slightest bit fazed. In fact, he is grinning.

 

"All that flailing reminds me of you, you're like a turtle when you get knocked over" Mikael says, sweeping his hand in a gesture at the buck.

 

"Mikael, I will not allow you to kill this buck" I say, firmly and stubbornly.

 

Mikael snorts, "I wasn't asking for your permission"

 

"It's innocent and deserves a life!" I yell, throwing my hands up.

 

"It's just a red deer! The population of Deer in Australia are unnecessary and they aren't even native here, they were brought in by the Europeans and are only used, for hunting. They take up to much space and probably kill more native plants and animals then I could dream of doing. And besides, the ones here in Queensland are bigger then the one's in Victoria, so it is kind of fair to the midget deer" Mikael points out.

 

"I-they-deer-what?" I stammer, lost for words.

 

Mikael smirks, "Finally, I win a battle against the magnificent Jolene!" He exclaims.

 

I cross my arms, "You didn't win anything" I grumble.

 

Mikael then clears his throat, and raises his knife.

 

"Oh. Oh! If you are going to kill it and gut it, I am so out of here!" I say, backing away.

 

"Oh don't worry. I'll save you something. Maybe make something pretty out of the antlers" Mikael adds.

 

I scowl at him before turning around and walking off, trying to block out the noises of the buck and the knife disecting the poor creature.

 

 

2 WEEKS LATER:

I sit in my room reading the book Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins, when I hear someone knocking on my door. I open it and find it's my best friend and comrade.

 

Mikael.

 

"Hey Jolene, I brought you a gift" Mikael says, offering a small parcel.

 

I blink before excepting the gift. I notice that a smile is trying to creep up on his face.

 

Eyeing him skeptically, I open the parcel to find a beautiful wood-like bracelet, that feels soft-ish and is jagged like a tree branch.

 

I gasp before slipping it on and moving backward and falling on my bed.

 

"Oh my god Mikael! It is so gorgeous and awesome!" I exclaim, examining the bracelet. I admire it and I watch as the mischevious smile expands on Mikael's face.

 

"Oh yeah. I made it myself. From Deer Antler, the one I killed a couple of weeks ago. I told you I'd make you something." Mikael says, trying to stifle a laugh.

 

I felt my face grow cold and probably pale. I then get angry, then sad, but decide to stay on one emotion. I take deep breaths and finally get up. I grab my pillow and throw it at him.

 

"That is not funny!" I shout, as he bursts into laughter, covering his face as I throw a continously string of pillows at him.

 

"You sneaky Son of a-" I begin to say.

 

"Language!" My mum shouts, from downstairs.

 

"Sorry" I shout back, as I drop my pillows and tackle Mikael in a bear hug.

© 2012 Spectra Nox


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like it keep writing more. :) 100/100

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

218 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 21, 2012
Last Updated on August 21, 2012
Tags: hunting, deer, jokes, jolene, antlers, red

Author

Spectra Nox
Spectra Nox

Hervey Bay, Australia



About
Hey hey, I'm Spectra Nox, teen writing extraordinaire (I wish). I like fantasy writing, but I also like to write poems expressing feelings and such. Writing is one of my major passions and I'm a bit s.. more..

Writing
Love Love

A Poem by Spectra Nox