Transfixed (Of Chartreuse gowns and Baby Blue sneakers)

Transfixed (Of Chartreuse gowns and Baby Blue sneakers)

A Story by Asmi Blaze
"

When certain people enter our lives, nothing is ever the same. Breeze enters the narrator's life and, much like her name, breathes new life into it. (contest winner on Wattpad)

"

Transfixed- Of Chartreuse gowns and Baby Blue sneakers:

I was just biding my time, ready to go wherever I may go when I overheard that the one who would win me this year would have to be the best of the best.

Nestled away safely, I observed the likes of whom tried out for the opportunity and saw many hopefuls. The majority were nothing different from what I've seen all these years- the same skinny limbs, the same overly styled hair, the same sky-high heels.

Then I saw her. Right from then, I was transfixed.

Her simple yet elegant mahogany locks swaying with her every movement. Her oval face and deep brown eyes on the edge of amber. Her simple mannerisms.

She stood out from everyone else, her baby blue sneakers peeking out of the crowd like a lone rose in a sea of thorns.

Many stayed away from her, walking away in their stilettos and platforms and gowns, while she stayed put. She waited patiently for her turn, digging her hand into the pockets of her ebony jeans and nervously smoothing down her dressy cerise top.

'Breeze.'

She was called, her name much like a refreshing gust of air.

All nervousness aside, she confidently strutted up and down until the panel was satisfied and okayed her. Her excitement and joy danced within her eyes as she thanked the panel and walked out.

All the hopefuls walked that day, but none of their gowned and heeled and extremely styled selves could match the pure confidence and attitude radiating from the girl in a dressy top and jeans and sneakers.

I watched and watched, praying she would get shortlisted, and she kept coming further and further ahead, letting nothing stop her.

She had quite a good run for a while until, one day, she was picked over another who seemed closely-affiliated with the green-eyed monster. She said quite hurtful words to Breeze, who tried to brush it away as best as she could. Breeze grew even taller in my eyes now, not letting her ideals drop.

Then the afore-mentioned hopeful said something so spiteful, and it affected Breeze to no small limit. Her pecan coloured eyes swum in quickly draining fluid which kept being replaced until Breeze decided she wouldn't let it affect her and determinedly swiped the fluid away.

From then on, she wouldn't look back, only kept charging ahead. She took on everything that came in her way face on, and did everything she had to do with absolutely no second thoughts or cold feet.

Answering the questions she was asked truthfully and with a dash of humour, she shone bright and dazzling. I couldn't see how anyone could not like her at that point of time.

Every time she laughed, I would marvel at the melodious dulcet tones of her laughter, not unlike wind chimes tinkling in the wind. The two small dimples on her chin showed every time she laughed. They were placed unusually yet added to her charm, just like the obsidian coloured mole on her chin.

Every single thing she did she did with grace and elegance. Once she tripped and fell, and then just rose up, dusted herself off and continued ahead. Even the way she gestured with her hands when she was really invested in what she spoke about was graceful and held much beauty.

Then came today. The day when I will finally meet one of the hopefuls and stay with them for a while. I have been taken out and polished and prepped up. A decorated red cushion's become my support.

I wait eagerly until I can see the remaining handful of hopefuls, but none have an impression anywhere remotely close to lasting as much as Breeze does. I remember watching the gowns being brought in on mannequins and honestly had hated the one she wore.

But the chartreuse silk floor-length dress she dons seems to have no resemblance to the one I saw draped on the mannequin. Sure, there is the same colour and the designs, yet Breeze seems to have blown life into the seemingly on-the-verge-of-extinction outfit.

Her mahogany hair has little braids at the top which flow into her natural waves let down. An exquisite pearl necklace, earring and bracelet set she wears pales in front of the exuberance in her joyous cinnamon eyes. A big garnet stone sits smack dab in the centre of a silver ring on her left middle digit.

When she moves about, I notice her shoes. Seafoam and juniper lined black booted shoes. Nothing like the stilettos I usually see. Being different is great for her- it's got her this far! She carries them off with a lot of élan.

All too soon, it's time for me to meet this year's 'best of the best'. I'm paraded onto the platform, gleaming and glowing upon my rose red cushion, bringing on a round of applause.

One by one, they count backwards until they're down to the final two. Breeze is one of them, and now I take time to notice the other- spruce floor-length gown with a split down from mid-thigh, aubergine coloured stilettos, blonde curls intricately tied up, pistachio coloured eyes, sangria jewellery and shaking from nervousness.

She seems nice, but I've got my eyes on Breeze.

All too soon, I'm picked up and it's announced, 'And the winner is Breeze Hayworks!'

I rejoice when I'm placed on her mahogany locks, sighing at the amazing silky feel.

At least now I get to be with Breeze for a couple of months until I'm locked back inside. And I will see her again next year when she glorifies the next her with me.

True, many would dare to hope for much more. But I'm glad to just have her for as long as I can.

For how long will a single sparkly and prestigious tiara be able to hold on to a single beauty queen, even one it has loved from the first time it's seen her?

I do love Breeze, but we just aren't meant to be for more than a few months. So be it.

© 2017 Asmi Blaze


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
Added on February 14, 2017
Last Updated on February 14, 2017
Tags: Love, short story, beauty, pageant

Author

Asmi Blaze
Asmi Blaze

Bengaluru, India



About
Writer, singer-songwriter, rapper, beatboxer, dancer, sleeper and eater 😝😝 more..