LIFTED SPIRITS

LIFTED SPIRITS

A Story by MelissaAndres
"

This is a short children's story that describes how angels really do exist!

"

They filled the school auditorium bundled in coats, jackets, scarves and muffs -- protection from the bitter cold outside.

"Where's Josie, Momma?" older sister Ellen searched the stage, bustling with children and adults, still in the process of arranging sets and props.

"She'll be out soon, honey," Momma assured her. "She still has to get into her costume."

Josie had innocently "volunteered" Momma as costume designer. The costumes had been such a delight to construct. The angel wings were so soft and delicate. She did wish she could have been paid for her efforts though. Money had been tight since she had lost her job two months before.

Josie and Ellen's father was always late with the children support payments and he was so difficult to talk to. Christmas presents would be very scarce this year.

Momma looked around the room, packed with happy, smiling faces and despair suddenly washed over her entire body. Tears filled her eyes and she swiped at them with the back of her mitten.

As the crowd began to clap, she jerked her head forward to see green curtains opening, revealing youngsters dressed as wise men, Joseph, Mary and a shepherd boy.

She listened halfheartedly to the lines of the play, her mind focused solely on her own problems.

Then, slowly descending from above the stage came Josie, her beautiful, eight-year-old blonde Christmas angel.

Suspended in mid-air by invisible wires, she spoke so softly the room quickly silenced to hear her.

Momma's eyes filled with tears again but, this time they were tears of joy.

Josie had worked hard to learn her lines and although she was nervous, remembered them perfectly.

As the play ended, the principal, Mr. Corbin, stood at the microphone to make a few announcements.

His voice, a long boring drawl, soon faded into the background and Momma was carried back to her own thoughts of misery.

"Please come forward, Mrs. Dawson if you would like to accept our offer," she heard the voice say.

"Huh?" she muttered, confused. A thunderous applause reverberated in her ears.

"They're givin' you a job, Momma!" Ellen squealed. "Sewing costumes. Please do it."

Momma made her way to the stage and shook Principal Corbin's extended hand.

"We thought that with the Holiday Season close at hand this would be a way to lift your spirits," he smiled.

Tears streamed down Momma's face. Josie and Ellen weren't the only angels she believed in -- miracle-working Christmas angels really existed too!

© 2015 MelissaAndres


Author's Note

MelissaAndres
Please give an overall review on this short children's story. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on September 2, 2015
Last Updated on September 4, 2015
Tags: short, child, story, girls, mother, angels, school play, costumes, sewing, Christmas

Author

MelissaAndres
MelissaAndres

Fort Worth, TX



About
Hi! My name's Melissa and I love to read and write! I am married to a wonderful guy named Mark and have a grown son and step-son and five beautiful grandchildren. I no longer work outside the home .. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by MelissaAndres


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by MelissaAndres