What's In A Name?

What's In A Name?

A Story by MelissaAndres
"

A short story about a young woman looking back on her life and realizing things aren't always as bad as remembered.

"
As she reflected on her life, Page Turner grimaced. Why? What were her parents thinking? How could they? They didn't even spell it in the traditional way; with the "i" in the middle. Her name had ruined her life. Page Turner. Who does that to their child? Was it a cruel joke? Was it meant to be funny? She had never asked. Did she truly want to know?

She could remember the teasing and taunting all the way back to the third grade. She hated days when the teacher proclaimed they would read their books silently at their desks. Silence always turned into chaos. She had been an avid reader; devouring words, sentences, chapters and entire books voraciously. Until. Until he moved to Brenton-Miles Elementary.

"Wow!" Red-headed, freckle-faced Alex Norson would whisper loudly. "You sure are reading that book fast! It must be a real, umm, page turner!"

The entire class would end up laughing; rolling in the aisles. Alex Norson would always end up in the principal's office. Year after year the boy would cause her embarrassment of some sort. She began to hate him, hate school, and sadly and worst of all, hate reading.

All because of her name.

Finally graduating from high school, she decided to move out of state to attend college. Page had no desire to pursue higher education but her parents insisted. Having their daughter move away became a reluctant compromise.

Walking across campus with her head held high, the petite brunette felt she was embarking on a new life. No one knew her here. They didn't know her history, her parents, her former classmates. She was starting with a fresh, clean slate. She would become a New Page.

The New Page discovered reading again. The New Page discovered she had an aptitude for writing; a deeply creative side. She was still teased from time to time about her name but as she grew and matured she learned to react differently to the heartbreak. Still, she harbored resentment toward her parents for bestowing the name upon her.

Today was her ten-year college reunion. Page was actually looking forward to seeing a few people. Old friends. Former teachers. Picking up the book from her nightstand, she grinned. It was her first novel. "Stop Him" had hit bookstores just last week. Perfect timing.

The telephone jangled. After a short conversation, Page Turner quickly packed a bag and flew out the door.

The funeral was excruciatingly painful. Guilt invaded her sobs. Page had allowed her anger to keep her away. Page had allowed confusion to cloud her judgment. Her father had been a good, loving, wonderful man, despite her name. Looking toward her mother, her heart welled with sorrow.

"Your Daddy was so proud of you, Page," she exclaimed. "Every bookshelf in our house is filled with your novel."

Exhaling loudly, fear clutching her throat, the young woman stood at the front of the church to deliver her father's eulogy. She scanned the numerous faces in attendance. Her father's co-workers, neighbors, church friends.

And then she saw him on the back row. Red-headed, freckle-faced Alex Norson looked quite handsome in a gray suit and royal blue tie. The Old Page threatened to emerge but held herself at bay.

As the crowd dispersed, Alex slowly walked up the church aisle and thrust a copy of "Stop Him" into Page's long fingers. "It's about me, isn't it?" he asked, a slight blush forming on his cheeks.

Nodding sheepishly, Page whispered, "Yes."

"It's a real, umm, page turner."

They both laughed through their tears.

© 2015 MelissaAndres


Author's Note

MelissaAndres
Please give an overall review on this short story. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

94 Views
Added on September 4, 2015
Last Updated on September 4, 2015
Tags: short story, young woman, looking back, life, realization, remember, teased, red-head

Author

MelissaAndres
MelissaAndres

Fort Worth, TX



About
Hi! My name's Melissa and I love to read and write! I am married to a wonderful guy named Mark and have a grown son and step-son and five beautiful grandchildren. I no longer work outside the home .. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by MelissaAndres


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by MelissaAndres