"Playtime"

"Playtime"

A Story by MelissaAndres
"

Short story about a shipwreck and the turmoil it causes.

"

The tiny ship rocked violently from left to right, frothy water splashing over its immaculate deck.


It had been in these waters many times before; sharing space with other ships, boats; large and small. Creatures of all shapes, sizes and colors.


But, this time was different. This time the tiny ship was in danger. A long, jagged crack had been detected on its starboard side. Small pieces of the ship, dubbed "Playtime", began to fall into the waves. Some pieces were sinking heavily; some were floating lazily like sightless yellow baby ducks, aimlessly bumping into one another.


A sense of panic set in; a sense of doom, a sense of urgency. Something needed to be done -- now. Shipwreck was imminent.


As he stood to his full height, he began to scream. He began to tremble. Tears streamed down his red face and his cold, clammy skin prickled.


The ship rocked violently once more, lurched forward, seemingly of its own volition, and slammed into a great white wall. A huge splash sounded as the injured vessel heaved a gurgling sigh and crashed down onto its jagged edges.


He screamed again. He heard her voice in the distance; soft, gentle.


"Hang on! Hang on! Don't worry. I'm coming."


Wiping his nose on the back of his hand, he trembled again but smiled inwardly.


Mommy rushed into the bathroom and wrapped her little boy in a big, blue, plush towel. Lifting him from the tub, she held the six-year-old to her chest, calming his sobs.


"It's okay, Sawyer. It's okay," she cooed. "What happened?"


"My ship is wrecked, Mommy," Sawyer almost choked on the words. He loved ships, boats and anything and everything nautical.


Looking down into the bubble-filled bath, Mommy felt a bit of her son's pain. Broken toys could equal broken hearts but Mommies could be lifesavers.

© 2015 MelissaAndres


Author's Note

MelissaAndres
Please give an overall review on this short story. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on September 5, 2015
Last Updated on September 5, 2015
Tags: short story, shipwreck, turmoil, water, danger, playtime, panic, waves, scream, tears

Author

MelissaAndres
MelissaAndres

Fort Worth, TX



About
Hi! My name's Melissa and I love to read and write! I am married to a wonderful guy named Mark and have a grown son and step-son and five beautiful grandchildren. I no longer work outside the home .. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by MelissaAndres


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by MelissaAndres