The Edge

The Edge

A Story by MelissaAndres
"

Short story of a young mother who cannot get a grasp on her depression after the death of her only child and how she deals with it all.

"

Her normally bright and cheery paintings had become dark, somber and streaked with sorrow.  Bonny Frease could not seem to get a grasp on her depression.  What mother could after the death of her only child?  Lucas didn't understand or seemed not to understand.  He kept everything inside; typical man.


When her husband had approached her, recommending they move to the coast, she was reluctant.  "We have such bad memories here."  Lucas had said as he held her hands in his.  "We drive by her school every day.  We see the street right in front of the house where she was struck by the car.  I miss Maggie too but we have to get on with living."


Bonny had finally agreed.  They had enjoyed family summers on the coast.  The coast was synonymous with peace and contentment for the young, now-childless mother.  Perhaps waves crashing against the base of the beautiful bluffs, the fresh, salty air and the serenity of Mother Nature in all her glory would do her some good.


Finding a cozy, little blue-shuttered rent house atop one of the highest bluffs in the area seemed a stroke of good luck.  Bonny busied herself with decorating, organizing and setting up her studio.


Lucas was quite pleased when his wife began painting again.  Her artistic talents still weighed on the gloomy side but she was using more splashed of color.  Reds, yellows and bright greens slowly incorporated their way back into Bonny's masterpieces.  Lucas could see normality on the horizon.


Bonny could feel her spirits lifting, somewhat, but she always felt that niggling ache around the edges of her heart.  Would it ever go away?  Her movements felt mechanical; stilted.  She'd been trying for Luke's sake but just didn't have the strength to keep up the facade.


When Bonny refused, feigning a headache, Lucas made the solitary trek into town for groceries.  She watched warily as he pulled from the long, winding driveway.


As soon as the silver SUV was a mere dot in the distance, Bonny dragged her easel, a fresh canvas and a myriad of paints and brushes out to the edge of the bluff.


Working feverishly she barely noticed the breeze wafting through her hair, the seagulls flying overhead or the darkening clouds.


Standing back to admire her handiwork, Bonny wiped tears from her sea-green eyes.  She took another step back, then another.  She spread her arms wide.  She was terrified yet exhilarated.


Lucas was juggling plastic sacks full of bread, cheese and eggs when he saw his wife's precarious balancing act.  Foodstuffs tumbling to the ground were quickly forgotten and a sprint ensued.


"Bonny!" he screamed.  "Bonny, no!"  Lucas ran harder and faster than he ever had in his life.


Taking a deep breath and closing her eyes, Bonny smiled as she took one last and final step.


Clutching the still-wet portrait of his beautiful, blue-eyed daughter to his chest, Lucas Frease sunk to the ground and wept.

© 2015 MelissaAndres


Author's Note

MelissaAndres
Please give an overall review on this short story. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

sad story :(
but well written

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

Thank you, Asra.
A very sad ending to the story. Lost of child is a had struggle. You create sad place and memories. Thank you for sharing the powerful story. You left something for the reader to think about.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

This was a short story (haha) but thank you just the same! :)
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

You are right. Was a story. Fast fingers made a error.
MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

Oh, I make errors all the time!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 6, 2015
Last Updated on September 6, 2015
Tags: short story, young mother, depression, death, only child, paintings, daughter

Author

MelissaAndres
MelissaAndres

Fort Worth, TX



About
Hi! My name's Melissa and I love to read and write! I am married to a wonderful guy named Mark and have a grown son and step-son and five beautiful grandchildren. I no longer work outside the home .. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by MelissaAndres


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by MelissaAndres