The Carousel

The Carousel

A Story by MelissaAndres
"

This is a children's short story about a lost child, panic, stranger danger and angels.

"

Krissy ran through the crowds of people; faces becoming only a blur. This was the best day! She didn't mind the red glob of sticky candied apple mess embedded in her golden curls or the blue Koolaid Slush that now stained her pink jumper.


"Honey, slow down!" Daddy yelled from behind. He thought giving Mommy a day off had been silly. After all, how hard would it be to care for this four-year-old cherub for one afternoon?


He was overcome with pure exhaustion.


Krissy looked back to locate her father as she was pushed along by throngs of fun-seekers throughout the amusement park. Her eyes grew wide with fear. She was not nearly tall enough to see his handsome face -- only torsos made up of different shapes and sizes.


Large crocodile tears welled and slipped from forest green eyes almost instantly.


"Daddy?" she called. "I need my Daddy."


Suddenly, Krissy felt strong arms around her waist. Large hands were lifting her into the air. She could see the tops of bald heads and pretty hats. Panic rose in her throat. Stranger Danger! She began to kick the body attached to the muscular arms.


"Let me go. Let me go! I want my Daddy."


A cool breeze wafted through Krissy's hair, bringing with it the aroma of hot dogs and popcorn. Relaxation tingled her tense limbs.


She looked downward anticipating the sight of a hideous monster but could not see a face due to her heightened position.


Her next memory was of being seated on a beautiful horse bedecked with jewels. She was on the carousel. Her favorite ride! The sweet tunes emitting from the machine calmed her further.


She turned to look at the stranger but -- no one was there!


Up and down the ride slowly began. A-r-r-r-r-ound the circle her massive horse traveled.


"Krissy!" Daddy was standing with the onlookers.


"Daddy!" she beamed.


As the ride ended, Krissy skipped to her father, curls bobbing. The Stranger Story gushed from her lips.

"I think he was an angel, Daddy." Krissy's forehead wrinkled. "He put me on the carousel 'cause it's the best. He knew you'd find me there."


Daddy smiled and hugged his daughter tightly.


"Maybe so, baby. Maybe so."

© 2015 MelissaAndres


Author's Note

MelissaAndres
Please give an overall review on this children's short story. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

97 Views
Added on September 7, 2015
Last Updated on September 7, 2015
Tags: children, short story, lost, child, panic, stranger, danger, angels, carousel, horse

Author

MelissaAndres
MelissaAndres

Fort Worth, TX



About
Hi! My name's Melissa and I love to read and write! I am married to a wonderful guy named Mark and have a grown son and step-son and five beautiful grandchildren. I no longer work outside the home .. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by MelissaAndres


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by MelissaAndres