Science 101

Science 101

A Story by MelissaAndres
"

Short fiction story about two young boys who build robots for a science fair project.

"

Raiden Alders was loving science class this year.  Mr. London was the coolest teacher.  He paired everyone off and explained the rules and criteria for the science fair project.  No team could spend more than fifty dollars, use recyclable materials when possible and think about science experiments of the future.


He had been partnered with Olly Lamberti, the class, no the school nerd.  But Olly was intelligent and quite capable of securing an A.  Raiden knew this would be a piece of cake.


Everyone began to put their heads together, whispering about plans and ideas.  The buzz of excitement was electric.


Olly stared at Raiden from behind thick eyeglasses.  His soup bowl haircut made him look quite comical.  No one else in the eighth grade would dare to be seen with a haircut like that.


Pushing the glasses up the bridge of his freckled nose, Olly blinked.


Raiden shrugged.


“I have a suggestion if you don’t already have one in mind,” Olly said in his high-pitched, squeaky voice.


Looking at and picking on a torn cuticle, Raiden shook his curly blonde head.  “Shoot.  I got nothin’.”


“I think we should try our hand at building a robot or possibly two if the first attempt is successful.”


“Robots?”  Raiden sat up straighter.  “But wouldn’t that take a long time and be expensive?”


“We have a month, can spend up to fifty dollars and use recyclable materials.”  Olly rolled his eyes.  “Weren’t you listening?”


“Yeah, yeah,” Raiden waved a hand in dismissal.  “Whatta we need?”


“Two small motors such as those found in electric toothbrushes, three-way switches, a battery holder, aluminum pieces, two spade connectors, heat-shrink tubing, a small bead or two, paper clips and two servo-type motors.”


Raiden stared in awe.  Just what went on in this guy’s cranium?


“Close your mouth, Alders,” Olly snorted.  “Now I believe building these robots as electrics would be more feasible and efficient, not to mention more elaborate, than mere batteries.”


“So we get to mess with electricity too?”


Olly shook his head sadly.  “I think I should be in charge of that department.”


“In charge?  Electricity?  Olly ol’ boy, you are the sly one.”  Raiden laughed and slapped his partner on the back.


“I’m afraid I don’t understand.”  Olly pushed his eyeglasses atop the bridge of his nose once again.



Several days later the boys stood in Olly Lamberti’s garage cutting pieces of aluminum from soda cans and stringing together paper clips.  Using a soldering iron, Olly put the finishing touches on their two masterpieces.

Raiden stepped back and grinned at the miniature creatures.  “We did good, Olly.”  He raised his hand into a high-five position but the nerd-boy just stood silently, perplexed.


Mrs. Lamberti appeared at the side door, dish towel in hand.  “Supper’s on boys,” she announced.  “You are staying aren’t you, Raiden?  We’re having lasagna.”


“My Momma makes the best homemade lasagna ever.”  Olly beamed.  “You’ll be sorry if you miss it.”


Stomach growling, Raiden licked his lips.  “With an invitation like that, how can I refuse?”


“Y’all clean up in here and shut up the garage door before you come inside.  It looks like a storm may be brewing and I wouldn’t want your robots to be ruined.”


Olly plugged both robots into the electrical outlet above the workbench while Raiden pulled down the garage door, then they both raced into Mrs. Lamberti’s warm, welcoming kitchen.


Halfway through their delicious meal, plates and silverware began to shake.  Claps of thunder reverberated through the little frame house.  The small transistor radio on the counter warned those hearing the program to seek shelter.


“Maybe I should call home and have someone come pick me up.”  Raiden scooted his chair back and took a step toward the telephone.


“Just tell your folks you’re safe here with us and you’ll call back once the storm blows over.”  Mr. Lamberti stuffed a slice of buttered garlic bread into his mouth.


Raiden nodded and picked up the receiver; the line was dead.  Suddenly, the lights went out.  The entire household gasped.



Inside the garage, the electrical outlet above the workbench smoked and sparked.  Orange-red and blue-yellow flames hopped down the attached cords and into Raiden and Olly’s newly-built robots.


One began to move its arms and legs, mechanically at first then more fluidly.  The other opened its beady, flashing red eyes and worked its jaw up and down, up and down.


“Obliterate the family, obliterate the neighborhood, obliterate the school.”  Beady-Eyes said in a tinny monotone.


“Obliterate the town, obliterate the world,” the first robot continued the command as he jumped over tools in the darkness and onto the concrete floor.


Beady-Eyes listened to the screams, satisfaction causing him to grow bigger and stronger as his underling did his bidding.


Soon robots would rule the world.

© 2015 MelissaAndres


Author's Note

MelissaAndres
Please give an overall review on this short story. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh, boy--the world is in trouble now. Tiny, pop-can robots with bad intentions. Having been a science nerd and tinkerer like those two, I was right there with them.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

Haha! Thank you, Sam! Just a silly little thing I came up with. Kind of reminds ya of a really ba.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 7, 2015
Last Updated on September 7, 2015
Tags: short story, fiction, young boys, building, robots, science fair, project, parents, lasagna, nerd, glasses, paperclips, aluminum

Author

MelissaAndres
MelissaAndres

Fort Worth, TX



About
Hi! My name's Melissa and I love to read and write! I am married to a wonderful guy named Mark and have a grown son and step-son and five beautiful grandchildren. I no longer work outside the home .. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by MelissaAndres


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by MelissaAndres