Unfallen Tears

Unfallen Tears

A Story by MelissaAndres
"

The youngest person in history, a teen-age boy, travels into space. His mother is an integral part in allowing him to live his dream but after he takes his first steps .... he receives horrific news.

"

Tane pulled the microphone closer to his mouth.  He swirled a dial, flipped switches.  A green light on the board blinked.


"All systems go."  The teenager's heart beat wildly against his chest.  Muscles spasmed in Tane's arms and legs; his stomach churned.  Emotions welled in his throat.  He was excited, scared, nervous, overjoyed and overwhelmed.

Just having turned seventeen, Tane Essert was the youngest civilian to travel into space.  The exploratory mission would begin in ...


Three.


Two.


One.


Tane clutched the armrests on his chair.  He forgot his training and started to scream.


"Problem, Essert?" A tinny voice echoed into the boy's earpiece.


"No, sir, just a momentary lapse of, well, something."  He took a breath.


"Good now?"


Tane's eyes scanned the board.  Needles and gauges were working properly.  "Check."


He settled in, becoming more comfortable as the minutes ticked by.


Unstrapping the harness around his waist, he floated toward the craft's window.  He'd dreamed of this moment since he was old enough to understand what the stars and moon were.  Everything was more beautiful than he'd ever imagined.


Pressing the Power button on a small flat screen, his mother's blue eyes blinked, a smile spreading across her pretty face.


"Hi, baby!" Alene Essert gushed.  "I'm so proud of you I could burst."


"Hey, Mom.  I've done it.  I'm here, going to the moon!  All that money you spent on space camp every summer wasn't wasted."


Alene laughed.  "I somehow knew it wouldn't be."


"Thanks for supporting me.  You'll never know what it means to me."


"You deserve it, honey.  Be safe.  I love you."


The screen flickered and went dim.


Tane was alone; nothing but him and the universe.  In a matter of days he would be walking on the moon.  Others had been there before him, sure, but no other teenager could say they'd done what he was doing.  He'd collect rocks, look for signs of life other astronauts has overlooked and gather cherished memories.


He slept, ate and kept his eyes on sensitive equipment.


Finally, landing day arrived.  Tane was giddy.  He had to carefully calculate his every move as to not float away into oblivion.  No distractions allowed.


A small lizard-like creature crawled across the toe of his boot as he bent to examine a few shiny pebbles.  He giggled.


"Essert, you there?" The tinny voice sounded in his ears.


"Essert here," Tane confirmed.  "There's life on the moon, sir.  Gecko-type amphibian."  He giggled again.


Static crackled.


"We regret to inform ..." Static.  "Car accident ..." Static.  "Mother deceased..."


Silence.


Tane hit his knees.  Tears welled and balled onto his pupils.  With zero-gravity, they were unable to fall; to flow free.  His blue eyes stung.  He felt as if the orbs were being plucked from his skull.  He took a deep breath.


She'd always been so happy, so vivacious, so upbeat.  Maybe, just maybe, he wasn't supposed to cry.

© 2015 MelissaAndres


Author's Note

MelissaAndres
Please give an overall review on this short story. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I can't help but think this must be a dream his mother has-- "see what might happen to your poor ol' mother if you go to the moon?" I'm sure Sigmund Freud could explain it. Well written, Melissa.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

Thank you, Sam. I don't write Sci Fi much (although this isn't too sci-fi-ness -- is that a word??).. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 7, 2015
Last Updated on September 7, 2015
Tags: tears, teenager, boy, space, travel, mother, life, death, appreciation, zero-gravity

Author

MelissaAndres
MelissaAndres

Fort Worth, TX



About
Hi! My name's Melissa and I love to read and write! I am married to a wonderful guy named Mark and have a grown son and step-son and five beautiful grandchildren. I no longer work outside the home .. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by MelissaAndres


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by MelissaAndres