Iconic Drifters in Setran Culture -- The TVT G-06

Iconic Drifters in Setran Culture -- The TVT G-06

A Story by MercuryFish
"

I was in the mood for spouting some jargon, but I don't know much so I made some up myself. It's unfinished, but also likely to stay that way so I thought I'd put it up here anyway.

"

When it comes to instantly recognisable designs, few are as iconic as the ambitious drifter that was Truman Vehicular Technologies’ final G-series model, the TVT G-06.

            Driven by Sakhar’s promising announcements and the recent rise in popularity of Cicado’s cheaper drifters, TVT produced a model with all the specs they felt they needed to compete. Its familiar G-series design had been bulked up, proudly displaying the power it possessed. It quickly rose to the top as the vehicle of choice for most, though ultimately the new technology it incorporated was its downfall, as underdeveloped concepts were quickly improved upon in the following years.

Despite its short time on the throne, the G-06 is still remembered as the icon of the drifter world in the ‘40s, the model that signalled the beginning of a period of innovation and ambition. This status combined with the short-lived technological iterations that make it up have ensured its place in collectors’ garages, and make it an interesting specimen for us to discuss today.

One such technology was the large single rotary core it accommodated. The sheer size was unprecedented, but it was needed to provide enough power to push the G-06’s bulk to the speeds that TVT was aiming for. The average output was enough, but the difference in flux between pole alignment and misalignment meant that the shuddering was vastly increased and would have made the drifter a pain to ride. The inconsistent flux would also need robust conduits to withstand constant change without warping or even melting.

TVT needed a solution for the large core’s drawbacks, and while Sakhar developed desynchronised multi-core designs, the G-06 was the very first drifter to use multiple induction plates for continuous pole alignment, known more commonly as a CPA system. Designed for rotary cores, the technology was barely reused until later on when perpendicular fields were discovered to be a simple method of incorporating CPA systems into a stationary core design. However, at the time it did what was needed and produced an output that was comparatively smooth despite the oversized core.

Despite all this innovation under the hood, the G-06 used almost the same spring-loaded startup method as the rest of the G-series, or more accurately, a G-05’s self-winding mechanism adapted and scaled up for use with the new core. Some theorise that this very traditional feeling characteristic contributed to the G-06’s sudden drop in popularity, as new models began to boast dedicated flux cells for a smoother experience. Nevertheless, collectors and former owners almost all fondly remember the heavy “click, whirr” unique to the oversized spring drive that would signal the start of a new voyage.

© 2017 MercuryFish


Author's Note

MercuryFish
I feel like I succeeded in imitating a typical documentary 'feel', but I'd love to hear any advice or feedback

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

68 Views
Added on January 18, 2017
Last Updated on January 18, 2017
Tags: Article

Author

MercuryFish
MercuryFish

Sandweiler, Luxembourg, Luxembourg



About
I write quite often, generally over the course of an evening as I try to get a premise out of my head and onto paper (or into a document). I'm not great at developing a plot, so what you'll find me po.. more..

Writing
Hot Day Hot Day

A Story by MercuryFish