Duck Down!

Duck Down!

A Story by ICU
"

A tale of three Indian Runner Ducks....

"

DUCK DOWN!


Hurrying up from the dam, little webbed feet pounding, they had one destination in mind.

The food tray.

Eager to get to it, they tore headlong through the outer gateway of their pen, only to come to a screeching halt at the entrance to their duck house.

Three pairs of little eyes peered intently past the doorway.

“Hold it, fellas! Something's not right here! I'm starving, but I'm not going in there!!”

“Me either!”

“I'm with you guys!”

They milled around for a few minutes, before deciding that clearly a conference was called for.

Forming a circle, Bluebell, Indy and Mutley, our three Indian Runner Ducks, gabbled at each other, with much bobbing of heads. They made a firm decision. This called for extreme measures. There was something highly suspicious in there - danger lurked in that duck house!

They formed a guard stance.

Hunkering down outside the duck house doorway, Indy faced the gateway as Bluebell turned towards the duck house door, in opposite directions of each other, beady little eyes riveted and bodies alert for the merest movement.

Mutley stood guard in the middle, head swivelling, watching the gateway and  doorway alternatively.

They were hungry, but the risk was too great. Anything could happen in there!

As the drama unfolded, my husband and I sat on the garden seat, overlooking the duck house, and watched their antics. We were helpless with laughter, marvelling at the suspicious nature of Indian Runner ducks.

Any change to their environment is certain to cause panic.

And we were guilty of causing this latest uproar.

What did we do?

Changed their food tray.

© 2012 ICU


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
ICU
Appreciate your review MMI. I posted the story because I entered it into a short story competion and was told it was more of a sketch. I edited it again, adding a little more, but didn't want to spoil the element of brevity that the whole event consisted of. I wondered if anyone else thought it should be longer, so I'm pleased that you appear to have liked it as is. Thank you.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I thought that was great and very refreshing.Everything wad done very well. The role of the ducks was great; the dialogue between them was funny too. It was definitely a breath of fresh air.



Posted 11 Years Ago


Hilarious.. but short.. sort of a anecdote...

Posted 11 Years Ago


ICU

11 Years Ago

Thanks, The Grappler. Might need to do some more work on it, but as I deliberately kept it short, I'.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 2, 2012
Last Updated on November 3, 2012

Author

ICU
ICU

Toothdale, NSW, Australia



About
I have been writing poetry for 13 years, and so far have about 70 in my file. I write about anything, whatever pricks the imagination. Bush poetry is my preference, with a bit of humour thrown in if I.. more..

Writing
Island Island

A Poem by ICU