The Seeker.

The Seeker.

A Story by Maria
"

We all look for love and happiness and family and friends. Yet many a time, we are hurt and than find it hard to love and or find happiness. So based on this, decided to write this story up.

"
                        Once upon a time,...No wait, that is an oldie.  Once, in a blue moon,
hmm, no scratch that too.  OK, fine lets just put this bluntly. My life is and was a disaster, even before I came to be.  That feels much better!
        So, here I am walking alongside the road, that leads to, no where.  Its one of those back roads that exist in each county, that go about, fields and farms, and maybe a house or two, but rarely would you see anyone walking on the side of this type of road, due to crazy drivers, and well cause you could seem out of place.
      See here, that is me.  My name is Mandy, and I am in my early twenties.  Been moving around, from place to place, seeking happiness, but have yet to find it.
So, after a day or two of rest, I decided to come over yonder, and see what I can find, down Little Buxley Road.
       A few pick up trucks have past by, only one honked its horn, while the others just cruised by.  Whose to say, if they will come back.  I am wearing tattered gray jeans, and a blue flannel shirt, besides worn out boots and a backpack, full of junk. My hair, well, what can I say, its not at its best.  Long and tangled, burnt by the sun, I can no longer tell its color, but its between ginger and orange.  I am as tall as Middle Schooled child should be, yet older than what some might think.
     Where do I live?  I live anywhere I can, and if allowed for up to three months if possible, and than I just move on.  Family? hmm well cannot really say, but I reckon I must have a family, somewhere or two.  I grew up on the streets, or as much as I can recall.  Seems I escaped the orphanage, I had been put in.  And eventually preferred living on the streets than being told what to do, at what time, what to where and such.
       I just left, the state of Tennessee and making my way towards the state of Virginia, you see. Been told that its the state for Lovers, and since I am looking for Love, am hoping to find that, and even happiness if I could.  So, onward I go. As I round the bend, a house appears to my right, or a mansion, you could say.  A beauty of a place, large, marbled columns, and a big balcony, with its blue and green colored walls, and a touch of gold, I think.  The yard, is huge, and it is surrounded by trees and bushes and flowers of many a kind.  The driveway, is perfect, and the cars well, expensive.
      Its a bit past 7am in the morning, and I have not had my breakfast, and I see a pond yonder back way of this house.  So I quietly, make my way, to that pond.  There is a bench, and I sit, and take my pack off.
     I get my last biscuit out with a cold sausage and eat, as slowly as I can muster, taking in the scenery.  The pond is divided by a bridge.  And there is a slide on the other side as well.  A forest is right behind it, and a fence, all around the house.  I hear no dogs or any other sound, just the crickets and the birds.  But wait! look over there, a deer and her foe!  What a sight.
    Well, I must say that I totally forgot this was a private property and not a park, when all of sudden I hear a click, and a hoarse voice, Who are you and what are you doing in my backyard?  I slowly turn, with my arms raised, and look behind, and what a sight!
    A tall, young man, with muscular strength, and a fine tan he had, black hair, that shot everywhere, and a fine, long pair of legs, if I can say so myself.
I am so sorry sir, I did not mean to intrude, but I have been walking over 10 miles a day, and could not help but notice your pond;  so I came on over to sit on this bench and eat me some breakfast while taking a small break.  If its ok with you, I will gather my things and be on my way, and I do apologize for intruding.   So I started to gather my things, and slowly stretched my body, until I was standing, and this man he be a foot and a half taller than me, so I had to look almost straight to the sky, and was about to say my goodbyes, when he lowered his rifle and said, What you eat? to which I replied, A biscuit and sausage, was all I had left.
     Well, gather your things and follow me.  So followed I did, and he went straight into his back-porch and opened the door.
      As I walked in, I could not help but notice the size and space of his house. He led me to the kitchen and got a pan out and told me to sit down, to which I did.   We did not talk as he took eggs and bacon out, and got a jug of orange juice and put things about. When all was ready he took a seat, across from me, and served my platter full of bacon and eggs.  I could not wonder, why he would do such a thing, and thanked him mighty loud, before digging in.  What hunger I had, and thirst as well, and he stared quietly, as I , gobbled down all this food.
     Once done, I got up and tried cleaning up but he stated to leave it be, and to sit down again.  And sit I did. Where are you from? Why are you here? Where are you headed to? and why are you alone?
       And so I sat and pondered what to say. And eventually knew I could not say a thing, so decided to keep my story as short as could be.
       See here, I was born in the state of Kentucky, or at least I was told, for I grew up at a children's home located in Paducah, KY.  I was very hyper and no one ever wanted me, and I was placed in two foster homes, but I ran away each time.  In the end, I got tired of the system, and decided to run.  Got some help from a church, and started off at the age of eight years old.  
       I have seen much and been most everywhere, and ever since, have not been able to stop, for the thing I am looking for is not easy to find.  So, here I am, currently making my way, to the state of Virginia, and hope to stay.  So I beg your pardon, but I must move on, if I ever want to advance, somewhat in my travel.
       He uttered not a word, and stood up all of a sudden and stated to wait in the living room. So I stood up and went and sat there for a while.  After fifteen minutes or so, he told me to follow and got in his car, and he drove me to the nearest bus station and gave me some cash and bought me a ticket straight to good ol Virginia.
       I thanked him much, and got on the bus, and as I pondered my luck, I  regretted never asking his name, for he never said.  But at least I am here, and safely on my way to good ol Virginia to start my life anew.

        
     

© 2017 Maria


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I enjoyed this story. I liked the ideal of Virginia. The state for lovers. I liked the journey to the positive ending. In real life. Strangers do help us. Maybe just angels leading us to the right place. Thank you Maria for sharing the amazing story.
Coyote

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Maria

6 Years Ago

Thanks appreciate your feedback. Glad you enjoyed.
Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

I did enjoy and you are welcome.
Maria

6 Years Ago

Thanks. I enjoy your writing too.



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Vic
Nice story, it reads like the MC is speaking directly to the reader.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Maria

6 Years Ago

Thank you Vic. Appreciate your input and advice.
I enjoyed this story. I liked the ideal of Virginia. The state for lovers. I liked the journey to the positive ending. In real life. Strangers do help us. Maybe just angels leading us to the right place. Thank you Maria for sharing the amazing story.
Coyote

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Maria

6 Years Ago

Thanks appreciate your feedback. Glad you enjoyed.
Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

I did enjoy and you are welcome.
Maria

6 Years Ago

Thanks. I enjoy your writing too.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

227 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 3, 2017
Last Updated on June 3, 2017
Tags: family, traveler, seeking, pondering, hope, life

Author

Maria
Maria

Fairfax, VA



About
I write from my heart, soul and mind. Sharing both past and present trials, that I have faced and or am facing. I believe strongly in God and the Bible, yet I respect everyone's views. I myself am no.. more..

Writing
My Punishment My Punishment

A Story by Maria


My Scars My Scars

A Poem by Maria