The Day I Almost Died

The Day I Almost Died

A Story by Maria
"

This is a real life experience that I went through, before my downfall, and rescuing, from God, in regards to my heart, mind and soul. I was doubting my faith during this experience.

"
            Back in 1998, I was taking a break, from high school, and was attending an Art School at that time.  I have always loved art and anything that has to do with art.  So, I was able to get into this school, after begging my parents a break from high school, as I was wanting to drop out.  So we made a bargain, and they put me in the Art school. It was pretty cool, as the place, was big, and the teachers, were not behind the students, and they were clear that it was up to us, to attend the classes, and be on time.  
             So, all in all, in that aspect, my life was good, yet, during this time, I also had starting doubting my faith in God, and gave in to smoking and tried beer for the first time in my life.  I tried acting cool, and did crazy things, to be accepted by the cool guys and gals, at my new school.  In the end, I must admit, I never really inhaled as one, should, to smoke.  I would keep the smoke in my mouth, and let it out slowly, through my nose and mouth.  I had a few friends, that I would hang out with, and we would take turns sharing a cigarette.  I was rebelling myself, before God and parents, and kept on expecting to being targeted one way or the other.  Yet, nothing out of the ordinary really happened nor did I get sick, from smoking.  
             Now, you might be wondering, what does this all have to do, with my near death experience.  Thing is my family, is not all that I have made it out to be. See, back in 1991, my parents adopted my moms nephew into our small family, and I never got along with him.  And in the end, at first I tried accepting him as my younger brother, but we never got to experience any type of connection.  And in the end, he turned out to be a broken boy, full of much rage towards his real mother. And he would take out that rage on my person, and girls alike.  He could be a charmer, whenever he needed something, yet in the end, his heart was not that of an angel. He was just two years younger than me too.  So, we would fight a lot and once we migrated back to El Salvador, for a short period of a time, he ended going back to his birth mom.  
              My mom loved him as a son, and forgave him for all the wrong things he did against her and my dad.  He ended joining a gang, and also became part of a theft ring, that would steal cars.  My mom tried, getting him to reform his ways and tried getting him to come and live with us. But he never wanted that, and yet, he would also pretend to want to be part of our family, and come to the house for a couple of days.  Yet, each time, he did come over, he would try and take my moms car, and I had to confront him more than once.  So, thing is, by 1998, he was into doing lots of bad things, and got caught several times, by the police as well.  Eventually my mom bailed him out of jail three times, after that, the fourth time he got caught, a policeman told her to stop being soft and let him stay for 15 days in jail.  So she did so, and he cried, and screamed in rage.  Eventually by mid July of 1998, he started calling the house, and was asking my dad, for money, to buy himself a big truck.  He needed $3,500 dollars to buy this truck, and my dad, told him that under no terms, would he give him this type of money.
                Well, he was not a quitter, and in the next few weeks, it seems, that he devised a plan, with two of his closest friends, in order to get the money from my dad, one way or the other.  Now, see, he is indeed smart and he also knew my parents weak spot, as did I.  Sadly, I must admit, that both my mom and dad, always had favored my older brother.  He was the one, that got straight As and was top of his class. So they had high expectations, for him to achieve much in life.  And I was the lazy child, rebellious with no ambition, to do good in life.  And the younger sibling, was simply the evil child.  So, his plan was to kidnap himself, and stay low for a couple of days, while, his two friends took turns, calling our house, demanding money for his release.  So, that was just one part of his plan, but see there was a second part, that he had hoped to achieve, without any suspicion falling on him at all. And that was to get rid of me.  Of course his plan, utterly failed, but not from lack of trying, it was more due to Gods own intervention, in preventing my premature death.
                 On the 21st of August of 1998, I was at the Art School, and since at this time, I was not so hooked into the Cell phone era, I had no phone, and my parents were at home, doing their thing, and my older brother, was doing his residency year at a hospital near our home, as he was studying to become a medical doctor.  As my day was ending, and it was getting time, for me to head on home, I had no clue of what was about to happen, and was happily looking toward, heading home, and getting to eat some food.
                Meanwhile, at the house, my parents were in a frenzy, as they had gotten a call, stating that someone had kidnapped their son, and they tried getting hold of my brother, and after not being able to, my dad went and found that my brother was at the Hospital, inside an operating room. So he waited for him to get out, and took him straight home.  Now, my mom was confused, at this point, as he was ok, and in the end, she remembered about her nephew.  Once my dad knew my brother was ok, he started suspecting that if they were referring to his prodigal adopted son, that he was behind it all.  My mom got the police involved and everything.  Thing is, that during this episode, they sort of forgot all about me.  Since the caller, had threatened their son, they thought that I was safe from all harm.
                 Finally the bell rang and I got my things and prepared to walk to the bus stop, and head on home. I was totally unaware of everything that was ongoing at the house.  And so two other girls walked alongside me, as we were all going to the same bus stop.  And we were walking along the side of the road, talking and giggling, and just happy, that we were out for the day.  There was a small intersection, in which we had to cross, to get to the main road, that was nearby.  And at this intersection there was no red light but there was a stop sign.  Towards the right hand side, of the road we were on, there was a hill, that was very high, and from that hill, came a street, which ran all the way down to the section of the road that we were on. Cars have no respect, for stop signs, so we knew to stop, and looked up, to make sure no car was coming on down, and as I started glancing away, I recall, that the sun was being reflected off, of something, but I did not think that it was important. We crossed, quickly and got to the next corner, in which we had to still cross on over to the other corner, that was across, from the hill, and go from there.  As we stood there, each girl, got to one side of me, placing me right in the middle. I remember we were sharing some type of joke at this time, and we were all hollering out loud.  Well, eventually we stepped off the curb, to finish crossing on over, when it happened.  I have never put this down in writing, and its much easier talking about it, but will do my best.
                      We all stepped off the curb, at the same time, and were walking in stride.  Somehow, time, seem to have slowed down, and I started feeling this heavy pressure, being applied to my head, I tried looking up, in order to see, if something indeed had landed on my head, but found that I could not look up.  As I looked towards my friends, I was planning on asking if they felt the same thing I was feeling. That is when I realized, that they had gotten ahead of me, and I was somehow stuck.  I looked down, and saw that my legs were still moving, as if I was indeed still walking in stride with them, yet, my body had no moved an inch forward.  I was so shocked, I tried yelling out to them, so they could see this bizarre sight, yet I could not do so.  Eventually, I felt a force get between me and my friends, and they were talking and acting as if I was still with them.  So I started fighting with all my strength, to get rid of this invisible force, and catch up with them, when the same force, grabbed my head, and started making my head turn, towards my left, and I kept on struggling to free myself.  That is when, everything stopped for a second or so, and I finally started seeing, what was going on.  Towards my left side, was the hill, that had the street, that came down, which incorporated to the road we were walking through.  And just like that an SUV, appeared out of nowhere, dark black, and tinted windows, and it was not just rolling down, but it was racing down that hill.  I felt as if somehow, I was in some type of action movie, in which, I was watching a scene unfold, and had no more than a minute to decide how it would all end.  I turned to see my friends, and back at the vehicle. I could see, that they were in line, with this vehicles pass, and would get hit by it.  And it seemed as if part of my soul, had left my body, as I saw what was about to happen, and could view my death, from a distance, along with the death of those other two girls. And I started screaming like crazy, and they could not hear me. Eventually, I remember thinking, ¨God if this is you trying to save me, can you let me save my friends, please!!! I do not want to see them die,¨ and this invisible force let go of me, and I was able to move.  So I glanced towards my left once more, and sprinted as fast as I could, because the SUV, was seconds from hitting the two girls. I yelled as never before, and they finally looked back, and were so confused, that I stretched out my arms, and managed to grab hold of each girl, by the back of their shirts and pulled them hard, yet I also believe that either God or an Angel, aided me with this, cause both girls were bigger than me.  The girl standing to the left, was closest to the SUV, as it came screeching down onto the road, and  she was bumped on her hip, as it swept on by her.  The other girl, towards my right was ok, but both were shocked as I continued to pull them backwards. The SUV almost lost control, and it seemed as if it was about to flip over, due to its speed, but it barely halted, for no more than a minute, and we could not see who was inside that vehicle, but whoever was inside, must have been shocked just as I was, and not sure if they saw everything or not.  But eventually it took off and we were left there in the middle of this road.
             I tried explaining what happened, but they both swore, that I never had left their side, and was right in between them, up until, I managed to fall behind and pull them to safety.  Yet, in the end, I was shocked that God Himself, would do everything possible and keep me from a most assured death.  And during the time, it took to calm down, I recalled the story of Jacob fighting against God, that had appeared to him, as an Angel, and eventually, once he realized who he was fighting against, he gave in, and was injured slightly as well.  I was so shaken and managed to get the bus, and get on home.  By the time, I got there, the police were there and I was shocked to see the house full of so many officers. Finally my mom saw me ,and took me aside, and told me what was going on, and how she never doubted that I was safe from harm.  I told her what happened, and she barely nodded and said, ¨its ok, I prayed for you, and you are here*.  So up to this day, not sure if my Mom really heard me at all, or believed me.  Yet, here I am today, and as sure as I am that today is the 22nd of August of the year,2017, I am sure about what happened that day, and how close I was to being killed by my younger half cousin-brother, whom I really have never considered family, ever.
               Yet, I am so sure, that he as I knew my parents would worry more about the older sibling and not even think about me.  And he had somehow managed to hire, this vehicle, and put out a contract on my head.  And he was not happy, to see that I was very much alive.  But I will never be able to forget this moment in time. For it was way before, my daughter came to be, and it was at the beginning of my own downfall, into the pit of darkness, in which, I submerged myself into, in order to continue onward on life.  And I kept on asking God, how come He saved me, and how I would have preferred to have died.  But that was then, and now, I am happy to be alive, and my daughter would not exist, if I had ceased to exist.  And through this experience, I learned how Loving God is, and instead of punishing me as my dad kept saying that He would, due to my sins, He saved me time and time again, from Death, and Evil.  
                And there have been other accidents, or incidents in which I have been close to Death, yet, spared each time, from dying or getting injured badly.  So now, am looking toward a new life, in Texas, and planting and starting my own Bakery, in honor of my Mom and making a living by helping others, as much as I can.
               


© 2017 Maria


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

107 Views
Added on August 22, 2017
Last Updated on August 22, 2017
Tags: suv, death, contract, gangs, prodigal son, family, love, bitterness

Author

Maria
Maria

Fairfax, VA



About
I write from my heart, soul and mind. Sharing both past and present trials, that I have faced and or am facing. I believe strongly in God and the Bible, yet I respect everyone's views. I myself am no.. more..

Writing
My Punishment My Punishment

A Story by Maria


My Scars My Scars

A Poem by Maria