The Sea is Always Wishing

The Sea is Always Wishing

A Poem by Laura Heilman

The sea is always waiting
for those of us who fear her dark depths,
who dream of great waves
sucking us under,
rolling us over.

The sea is always watching
for those of us ignorant enough
to think her black waves
will hold us in her arms gently,
like a mother's warm embrace.

The sea...
the sea is always wishing
and we are wishing too.

© 2009 Laura Heilman


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

The construction of the piece is very tight, economical without being spare to a fault. I find it a bit more problematic thematically; the first two stanzas seem to be almost anti-romantic, chiding those who see the sea as either malicious or gentle and welcoming--it seems to suggest that the sea is just that, the sea. Yet, in the final stanza, the sea is, as we are, "wishing", which seems to contradict the idea in the first two stanzas.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Yes we are wishing...
random thing... Did you know scientifically, "sucking" does not exist? I find that interesting... Regardless. Beautiful poem :)

Jeannie
p.s. I'm not saying to change the poem, it just made me think of that :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


pensive, sad, cautious...like the poet?

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovely poem. I've never before thought of the ocean as always wishing, but now after reading your poem, it seems true that she is always watching and waiting.

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is wonderful and very well written

Posted 14 Years Ago


A excellent poem. I love the ocean. I swim and suicide board in the big storms when I was station at Fort Ord, Ca. I respected the sea and rode the waves in the early Spring storms with friends. Ocean has no equal to her power. Poem is outstanding description of the sea.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago


Mmm I've always taken the sea for granted, probably because I lived near the Great Lakes for most my life, but recently I've experienced how beautiful and scary it can be. Its dark and mysterious depths hold many unknown, and the unknown is simply frightening.

This was pretty, and well written. I liked it a lot. :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


I've too always felt like the sea is always waiting to meet us and talk to us through silent revelations. You condensated that idea in a most effective way. I look forward to reading more of your work.

Posted 14 Years Ago


The sea could be many things. The future, the world, even the unknown are possibilities. I like this poem being subjective and thought provoking. Nice.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

180 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 30, 2009
Last Updated on December 30, 2009


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..