Times Arrow

Times Arrow

A Story by R Merritt
"

Man has the potential to learn from the mistakes he made in the past, but some men are doomed to repeat them. We all have the potential to go over our lives so far and see what there, taking delight in good memories and hopefully learning from the bad one

"

 When all your tomorrows have turned in'to yesterdays, your dead, and that's how I know I've still got some time. 

I've still got time to make things right. Time to take on completely new endeavors that themselves may or may not turn out the way I had planned, but which may be innevitable and maybe fundamental. When man has reached all the stars and realized all his dreams and fantasies and folks live in great cities above the clouds where it's always warm and bright...what happens next? 

While leisure in moderation is by no means sinful and in fact vital, it can also lead to boundless spaces of emptiness, a sort of mental vacuum that will itself manufacture a type of time-machine with the capacity to catapult it's commuter back through years passed, as an observer, to once again revel in his victories and conquests, or adversely to crumble at his losses. 

While the traveler can actualy accomplish nothing on these expeditions, what he experiences will still breed within him a change of heart. Whether the change is corrosive or revitalizing is of course based on that mans past. 

So, recently I think alot about a time not so far ahead when perhaps I will find myself in my own time-machine, created by and in the grey workings of my own mind, and how what I view through its translucent walls will react upon me. Sometimes, the machine itself will seem to dissapear, and you can almost believe it's not there at all. This delusion is always shattered, however, and usualy when that happens it invokes a meloncholly longing that if dwelled upon for too long will threaten to tear apart, thread by thread, all the hopes and dreams of tomorrow. 

So the machine, in all of its greatness, can also mutate into a purposeless, mindless and stupid vehicle of despair, powered by the energy of ambition and longing it sucks from its host. It is then, by now a little too late, that you realize the machine you thought you controlled is really a kind of parasite, breathing and sentient...and it's riding you. 

But that only happens if you overstay your welcome in the land of "Days Pas"t, and fortunately, the stars have not all been reached. 

It still rains from time to time. 

Theres still thunder and lightning and tornados and floods and hurricanes. 

Earthquakes, volcanos, tsunamis... 

And life is wonderful.


© 2009 R Merritt


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
Added on January 19, 2009

Author

R Merritt
R Merritt

Beverly Hills, MI



About
I am 29 years old and am from Michigan. I've lived in Savannah Georgia, and Chicago, but am now temporarily back in Michigan. I am writing a screenplay (my first) and have been researching how to writ.. more..

Writing
I Forget I Forget

A Poem by R Merritt