Dragged Under

Dragged Under

A Story by Zoe Manichart
"

Okay, so this is just something weird that came to me one night. The woman was once human, but..well if I say too much it wont be a surprise. ^^

"

 

Her eyes slowly fluttered open and everything around her was so bright, but more than light flooded into those beautiful green eyes. Water surrounded her and at first she swam for the surface, hoping to relive her lungs, but when she reached the air and tried to breathe there was nothing. Her lungs didn’t fill and she suddenly found the urge to plunge back into the water and as she found herself fully submerged she could breathe again.
As she took in the water things seemed to slowly come back to her, like she had been made to do this her entire life. She looked all around her and found herself in a small container, hardly big enough for her floating upright, so she could hardly see below her. Nonetheless she found herself glancing down at a shimmering fin, almost as blue as the water around it. It didn’t shock her though, nothing did. Her eyes glanced around and all that seemed to throw her off was the fact that everything else around her was white outside the water.
It was quite a while before she saw anything move and it seemed to be a piece of the white around her until it came right up to the glass and tapped on it. She had nowhere to go, so she just found herself bumping up against the back of her tiny little area. The figure said something as it tapped on the glass and slowly the figure came into focus.
He was a shorter figure, very thin and pale with reading glasses on the end of his nose. Still, he had a smirk on his face with his other hand on his hip. He continued to talk, but somehow she didn’t understand. The words were clear as day, she could hear them, they weren’t muffled by the water, but they didn’t make sense, as if it was a foreign language.
“Looks like you turned out just fine,” he said, his voice sounding as though he had a cold.
And Aaron turned away from the small tank and went to a larger tank and hit a switch, causing the tank to fill. It must have been filling from some other tank for fish were flushed out with the water. It was then that another figure entered. A man with broad shoulders and thick black hair that was slicked back from his green eyes.
It seemed wrong to have her there. Her skin was pale, dry and cracked from the lack of moisture and she was constantly choking on the water still left in her lungs. She couldn’t breathe on her own and the doctors weren’t even sure she would ever wake up again.

© 2008 Zoe Manichart


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Your writing is fine really :) And the so is the story, though I feel like something is missing..perhaps because it's so short, but I think it would make more sense if we have more background info..I know she's a mermaid, but as to the why and who Aaron exactly is..If he's just a doctor or something it might be better to refer him as the doctor, because a name is much more personal and suggests he's important to the story..Also the ending is unclear to me..are they trying to turn her back into a human or does it turn out she's just in a coma from nearly drowning and imagining everything? Please let me know because I like the story :) Hope my comments help...And keep writing!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
1 Review
Added on February 6, 2008
Last Updated on February 6, 2008

Author

Zoe Manichart
Zoe Manichart

A fork in an unknown road, CO



About
Nothing special really. I'm not all that great at writing, in fact I hated it for a good part of my schooling, until one of my teachers showed me how wonderful it can actually be. My spelling isn't th.. more..

Writing