Seattle

Seattle

A Poem by Megan
"

My plans for the future seem to be all I can think about. I figured I could use them to focus my writing.

"

The need grows stronger,

To move onto the next phase.

To find myself and who I’m meant to be.

 

Seattle has always called to me.

I don’t know why.

But now is the time to find out.

 

What is there for me?

Can I make it on my own?

Who will I be there?

 

This is my chance to see

Who I am, what I’m meant to do

And who I’m meant to meet.

 

My excitement grows each day.

I count down the days until I leave.

This is what I’ve been wanting for years now.

 

The New Year will begin for me in Seattle.

I will see new things and meet new people.

It will be my time to experience what I’ve always wanted.

© 2016 Megan


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)

Author's Note

Megan
All advice and comments are welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hi!

A soothing, pleasant poem to read once you've finished a long day of work like I just have. I liked the fact that you started the poem with 'The need grows stronger', which gets straight to the point and emphasises the narrator's desire to leave and travel to Seattle.

The use of personification was very good in terms of giving the renowned city Seattle verbal qualities and that, in my opinion, functions in opening doors to multiple voices in the poem. The line 'Seattle has always called to me' gives an ambiguous impression, insinuating Seattle is both a life-long lover plainly calling out to the narrator and an omnipotent city summoning the narrator to it's domain. Thus, a paradox is formed, with the life-long lover on one hand and an uncanny omnipotent metropolis almost pulling the narrator in on the other- very clever. The subsequent line 'I don't know why' serves well to accentuate the latter side of the paradox.

That was my interpretation anyway!

Some editorial notes to consider. I noticed some lines that were not always new sentences at the beginning had capitals. Never ever let your PC control you. If the beginning of a new line on a stanza is a continuation of a sentence, leave it in lower case. It is a small observation, however, as my lecturer told me: starting every line with a capital regardless of whether it's a sentence or not can give readers a false impression that you're emphasising the first words that are capitalised. Unless this was intended, I personally wouldn't do it. Also, applying the 'Chekov's gun' rule, some lines could be condensed. For example: 'This is what I've been wanting for years now'- 'now' isn't necessary. The fact that the narrator has divulged, presumably her lust to leave at the beginning already implies its something she's wanted for a long time.

In addition, some lines I felt jeered towards cliché slightly. For example: 'My excitement grows each day. I count down the days until I leave'. This, in my view, has been used many times and could be substituted with something more effective.

Entirely up to you however - feel free to ignore my advise if you think it's gibberish. All in all, I enjoyed the poem and I hope Seattle lives up to its' reputation for you.

Posted 7 Years Ago


You will love Seattle. I did a lot of training at Fort Lewis, Washington. I spend a lot of time in Seattle. Poetry, song and good people are alive and well in this city. I liked the hope and the drive of this poem. I wish you luck and a lot of fun in the new journey. Thank you Megan for sharing the amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


The excitement of seeing a dream to come true is flowing through your words... It's a free verse and it makes me feel for the poet and what she is looking forward to... A new journey of life shining in front and she's waiting for the day eagerly and passionately... A very beautiful way to describe what you have been feeling about your new life in a new place...

Sincerely
Dhiman

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 28, 2016
Last Updated on September 28, 2016

Author

Megan
Megan

Lincoln, NE



About
I recently graduated with my Bachelor's in English. I am 22 and discovered my love for writing just these past few years. I haven't published much but hope to change that. I live in Lincoln, NE right .. more..

Writing
Fall Fall

A Poem by Megan


Be Strong Be Strong

A Story by Megan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..