Looking For The Aliens

Looking For The Aliens

A Story by Michele Rae DeJean
"

I awoke to find a presence in the evening sky that was far away and I needed to find it.

"

      I awoke to the one sound that never failed to wake me, the sound of silence. It follows when the timer on my television turns off at 3 am in the morning. Most people need noise to wake them up but not me, my brain fills with loud disquieting thoughts when there are no background noises for it to focus on.

      I looked out the window and the dark sky was filled with bright and shiny shimmering objects. I saw a planet and a couple of bright stars I presumes were satellites and one seemed to be slowly moving in my direction.

      My black cat, Mojo, appeared out of the darkness and he sat next to me. He also stared out the window although I doubted he was looking at the stars. Mojo has always been a self-centered dick, he only does what makes Mojo happy, and he walks down my body like I am a piece of the furniture. I was told this is a sign of dominance.

      “Wouldn’t it be cool if we saw aliens?” I said to Mojo since there was no one else in the house. I am not crazy enough to expect an answer, or at least a verbal one. He looked at me with his shimmering liquid green eyes and then he looked back out the window just as I did. 

      I saw one of the stars, one that I thought was a satellite, seemed to be getting larger so I assumed it was also much closer to me as well.

       I went to the refrigerator and got something to drink and sat back down on the couch. I looked at the stars again. I still saw that one had moved closer and appeared to be coming right towards me. Maybe it was a plane and not a satellite and maybe it was turning around so it could land.

      I was visited by aliens in my bedroom many years ago. I felt that the room was filled with the presence of displaced energy. I felt the presence of aliens. I told them I was not ready to meet them and they left. I have always imagined that this was an open invitation and after all the years have come and gone and so many things have happened I decided I was ready to meet them.

     Who are them? I don’t know. I eagerly hoped that I could find them again. I have come to realize my place in my friends and family’s lives is not as precious as I once thought so I am free to seek something new. Things change sometimes.

      I walked out of my house to where I saw the light back by the well. It was faint and surrounded by the oak saplings that had sprung up around where the underground spring runs.     The abyss of murky fog surrounded it and the light evaded my best efforts to locate it.

     “Where are you?”

      I got no answer. I kept walking towards the light. I looked for a sign that something else might be out there. 

     “Why did you bring me here?”

     I saw the light coming from inside the cluster of small trees.

   “What do you want from me?”

      Still, no answer and it was very quiet. I was surrounded by darkness but I felt that I am was not alone.

     “Who is here watching me? “

      They didn’t answer but I still knew that I was not alone.  After all I was the one who summoned them in the first place.

     Why can’t I find them? They brought me here, at my request perhaps, but they still brought me.

    Why aren’t they answering me? What is the purpose of bringing me here if they won’t talk to me? I do not understand.

     I walk on a little farther in the darkness and I see a dim light up ahead so I pursue it. When they first offered me the invitation to go with them I didn’t feel that I was not free to take them up on it. I am now totally unencumbered by anyone’s expectations so why don’t they show themselves?

     I think I know who they are but I don’t know where they came from or what they want. They offered to take me away that one time a long time ago, but they didn’t tell me what they were offering to take me to and now I want to know.

     I kept walking but the light was dim and far away. I wondered if I was going to make it. My body felt heavy, as if something was dragging it down. I was determined to make it if it was the last thing I did.

     I was almost there and I saw figures standing in the darkness of the light I had been struggling to get to.

     Finally I was there but it made no sense. I was looking at faces, my dead boyfriend, my mother and my grandfather. What?

     I had asked the aliens to take me away. What happened? Did I fall asleep? Oh hell, was I just dreaming! Am I the alien?

© 2014 Michele Rae DeJean


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

102 Views
Added on October 9, 2013
Last Updated on January 18, 2014
Tags: science fiction, fantasy, alien story

Author

Michele Rae DeJean
Michele Rae DeJean

Eugene, OR



About
I am 55 and live on a 12 acre mini-ranch in Eugene that I started buying 6 years ago. I live with two wolf dogs and have 2 twelve year old cats I got from the local shelter when they were kittens as w.. more..

Writing