You

You

A Poem by Michelle Rachel
"

...

"
I wonder about you sometimes, deep in the farthest reaches of my mind, holding out your hand and begging me to grab hold. I ask myself how did you get there, why do I keep you, and most importantly: who are you to me?

Your face follows me everywhere I go, your voice drifts into my ears like a cool breeze on a day too hot. Memories of watching you float in the air and feel almost sentient. I want to touch you, hug you, feel your skin, but alas I cannot, because the distance between us is more than the sun and the stars. I feel your minds eye burning into my soul as you search for the hidden part of your world that you will never falter in losing, forever just out of your reach but always reaching for you.

Why couldn’t I have stayed? Why didn't I do better? Why wasn't I more than you needed? I never have been, and most likely never will be. I will watch from the sidelines as you fall in love with the person you think fills the void I left in your heart, but I always feel you reaching out, tirelessly holding yourself back in hopes of futile love.
It breaks my heart to see you happy, because I know I am not the reason. I hate to witness your freedom, knowing that I only exist as a pair of shackles in your world. I want so desperately to be something more, be someone more… be, more. but I always fail. I will always fail.

We were never meant to be together, the two of us, just star crossed lovers tied by fate or whatever it is that Shakespeare wrote. Your soul beckons to mine like the sun beckons the morning, yet I know I cannot answer your call, for it will only cause us both insurmountable pain.

I hope you know you never leave my mind. If you ever need a place to call home, I hope you know I will be it. I want what's best for you and I want the best for you, even if I myself cannot fulfill that wish.

© 2023 Michelle Rachel


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

77 Views
Added on October 6, 2023
Last Updated on October 6, 2023

Author

Michelle Rachel
Michelle Rachel

South Bend , IN



About
Times are changing and it's for the better. more..

Writing