Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
The Blue Eyed Child: Fixing the Problem (2)

The Blue Eyed Child: Fixing the Problem (2)

A Screenplay by Midnight's Mistress
"

(So, yeah, I'm dividing it into what I believe to be scenes)

"
N: *nods again* Come, please. *leads him to the servant's quarters, having to take a dark stairwell down* I'm sorry, but it isn't the most extravagant place.
~
G: Hmmm . . . *looks around the dark quarters*

*small beds, more like mats, a few dim, very little room between the beds*

G: Where is your place in this area?

N: In the corner *crosses the room like an expert, not moving anything nor waking the sleeping children*

G: *stumbles in the dark, attempting not to step on anything* This is your quarters?

N: *nods. Both reach her bed/mat. Neatly made, smaller than others, with some clothes at the end. Quickly packs everything, including the dress she was wearing earlier, into a bag, only half full*

G: *stares blankly at the bedding* That's all? One bag's worth?

N: *nods again* I don't own much. Didn't you notice how I am always wearing the same outfit?

G: No . . . No I didn't . . . *looks at the bag around Naomi's waist* This has to change . . .

N: I agree, but there isn't much we can do *stands and hands you one of the candles*

G: *standing more in the dark, thinking very hard, the candlelight flickering on Naomi's face*

N: I am ready to go if you are, M'Lord

G: *looks in the bag* Do you have anything of value in there?

N: *ruffles through bag* Some work clothes, my other pair of shoes, my good dress, and my work schedule

G: Nothing of value? Jewels? Family heirlooms?

N: None, M'Lord. I never met my parents, actually. I have had little to nothing

G: Nobody gave you anything worth cherishing?

N: *touches her necklace lightly* Well, I found this one day while cleaning one of your guest rooms. An important guest was staying, but I was never told her name. When I tried to give it back, she told me to keep it. She said that it was blessed . . . Other than that, only memories, and not all of them good.

G: I see . . . *riffles through the bag and pulls out a dress with lace trimmings* Is this your . . . "good" dress?
~
*the dress is covered in stains, obviously made of different bits of fabric, all shades of blue*

N: *nods, comparing that dress with the one I'm wearing. Bows head in embarrassment*

G: *puts dress over shoulder and throws the bag into the fire inside the hearth*

N: *eyes grow wide* M'Lord! *runs to get the bag*

G: *grabs Naomi by the waist and pulls her into him. They stand, watching the fire engulf the small bag*

N: *stares at the bag, a tear falling down her face*

G: Why do you cry, young one?

N: *not looking at you* Those who live above may be able to afford new clothes, but we down here use all the fabric we can.

G: Are you saying I didn't think of that?

N: *answering like a handmaiden to an angry Lord* No, of course not, M'Lord!

G: *looks around* This is terrible . . . You will never live like this again.

N: I know . . . But, I shall miss it here . . .

G: Come *leaves and goes to the balcony. The balcony is above the courtyard*

N: *obediently follows*

G: *To a manservant* Call everyone to the courtyard, now.

N: *turns to go down*

G: Mimi, stay, please

*people start filing in, staring at the balcony. Glaring at Naomi, gossip being carried up*

Various Servants: -How much did she pay him to be his s**t?- -Spoiled brat, just because she cleans his room- -Probably not the only thing she cleans- -She needs to learn her place-

G: My people! Listen to me! Today, your friend has shown me what conditions you all live in!

V.S: *Many glare at Naomi, not liking having a Lord in their quarters, nor having Naomi be called their "friend"*

N: *Looks down, avoiding the glares*
~
G: People, I made this choice on my own, listen, I beg of you!

*all look at Gabriel*

G: Everyone is to leave the interior of the cellar and my manor. Today.

*all eyes get huge*

G: I have seen how you live, what you wear, where you sleep. No more! Tonight, you all will go to my ranch and sleep there. Only tonight. For soon, your quarters will be fixed and far better! Suitable for humans to live in, with light and warmth!

V.S: *silence, then cheers erupt throughout the courtyard. Various hats and a couple bonnets are tossed into the air*

N: *hugs Gabriel tightly* Thank you so much!

G: Don't thank me yet. *addressing the crowd* Also!

V.S: *cheering stops*

G: I will also have my most trusted seamstress take all your measurements.

V.S: *cheering starts up once more*

G: All of you! Throw your old clothes into the fire, for you will not need them anymore!

*everyone but Gabriel chants* Long Live Lord Gabriel! Long Live Lord Gabriel! Long Live Lord Gabriel!

V.S: *begin to leave the courtyard*

G + N: *return to the study*

N: Thank you so much, M'Lord. We are all so grateful.

G: *opens drawer and pulls out a big scroll* Here. I was having my master carpenter work on it, but . . .

N: *smiles, completely understanding* You forget, didn't you?

G: Well . . . It wasn't a priority, Until now. Read it over

N: *opens it. The plans show a much bigger room, with room for actual beds. There are also many hearths, dressers, and many places to put torches* Oh my gosh, this is amazing! The
hearths will prevent people from getting sick this winter.
~

G: *smiles* Glad you like it. I have some errands to run, will you join me?

N: *gladly nods*

G: *tosses her a Russian fur hat* It gets chilly at night.

N: *feels the fur carefully, then puts it on*

G: *leads you out to a red chariot, led by two black horses* We have some things to pick up in town.

N: *nods, climbing in*

*the chariot starts to move*

© 2012 Midnight's Mistress


My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
Added on March 20, 2012
Last Updated on March 28, 2012
Tags: Lord, Handmainden, Greek Gods