The Sad Tale of Lucy Mae

The Sad Tale of Lucy Mae

A Story by M.E.Lyle
"

She was young, beautiful, and well educated.

"

The Sad Tale of Lucy Mae

The boy stared into the girl's pale blue eyes and with his lips, kissed her goodbye for the very last time.

He turned and slowly walked away knowing this would be their final farewell.

She hoped and prayed he would turn and come back, but he never did, he simply continued his straight path away from her.

She fell to her knees and cried as her heart burst from the agony of despair.

She teetered there for a moment and then fell over dead.

She was young, beautiful, and well educated.

But he came along, handsome and smooth spoken, and took her away from all she knew.

He toyed with her her emotions and took what he wanted in private favors.

He left her for the love of another, thusly sealing her doom.

She lay there on that green field, hair spread about like golden strands of thread, all alone, with no one to come, no one to claim her lifeless, frail corps.

Memories of her amongst the townspeople faded like early morning mist.

No one ever knew what became of her.

No one ever thought much about it.

Most believed she had run off with the fine looking young man, living somewhere far away.

Little did they know she was not so far.

Sadly there she lay to this very day, undiscovered.

Only the Raven that sat atop the tree that day,  overlooking a green, green pasture, knew the truth for sure.

 He had seen it all.

Today the old bird sits atop the belfry tower in town and, 

at the precise moment of her death, cries out, with such mournful sorrow, “Lucy Mae, Lucy Mae.”

And to this day, the townspeople don't understand why.

© 2016 M.E.Lyle


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow, this is powerful writing that fills my mind with sad, stark images. Any plans to continue? If so, your opener is a genuine winner.

Posted 8 Years Ago


'She lay there on that green field, hair spread about like golden strands of thread, all alone, with no one to come .. .. '

This could so easily be a tale or song repeated by a traveller moving place to place, spreading the Word, sharing the lights and shadows of life past, present.. and maybe. -the future. There's the sweetest simplicity here.. but the core of it says so much. Those last two words.. have a touch of magic.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

191 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 11, 2015
Last Updated on January 12, 2016

Author

M.E.Lyle
M.E.Lyle

Wills Point, TX



About
So now I am 34 plus 40. Use the old math...it's easier. I'm an old guy who writes silly stories containing much too much dialogue. I can't help it, I just get stuck. I ride my bike trainer, our r.. more..

Writing
Meeting Kelli Meeting Kelli

A Story by M.E.Lyle


Sam Stone Hunter Sam Stone Hunter

A Chapter by M.E.Lyle


Sam Stone Fleora Sam Stone Fleora

A Chapter by M.E.Lyle