Good News Bad News

Good News Bad News

A Story by M.E.Lyle
"

The state of our world

"

Good News Bad News


Picked up today's Morning News “hoping to find some happy news,” as Don McLean would write it in his American Pie.

February made me shiver,

With each paper I delivered.

Bad news on the doorstep,

I couldn't take one more step.”


In those days most people thought McLean was singing a song about the day Buddy Holly died.

To this day I'm not quite sure what the song was about. I think it might have been about Buddy, but I'm not sure.

Only McLean knows for sure, and I don't think he's telling us.

Pondering hidden meanings of songs, stories, or even words and terms makes life so much more interesting.

Having all the answers handed to us on a platter made of silver is no challenge whatsoever.

Pondering incorrectly, however, can sometimes lead us into hot waters.

Take for instance the term WOKE.

I used to know what it meant, but today, I have no clue.

If someone were to ask me if I was WOKE I would have to answer this way.

This morning I was WOKE when I woke up from my sleep, but at the moment I think I would have to say that now I am awake.”


So, as I flipped the pages of the morning news I found very little to smile about.

Feds race to ease fears.”

Yikes! Now there's a scary thought.

Trump Attacks DeSantis.”

Try picturing that for a minute.

4 Killed at apartment.”

A very sad and serious tragedy. It's certainly not something to make you smile.


I wonder why I bother reading the news if all it does is upset me.

There's always the Comic section.

I love Baby Blues; BC, and Bizzaro with all its hidden objects.


There was one thing I did find in today's paper that made me smile, the Obituaries; I wasn't in it!

© 2023 M.E.Lyle


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It's humorous and sad at the same time but I suppose
it's better to look more on the funny side of things in a
world gone mad ..back in the day we used to have some
sort of sense and order about the news as we heard
it , seems that's all gone by the wayside these days..
'the world it is a changin'. nice write..




Posted 9 Months Ago


Good morning! What a fine way you took me along a bendy path to that wonderful ending! You managed to keep this reader on the brink of what's going on here.. why doesn't he buy an alternative paper, But then.. then in seconds, you made me laugh so loudly, the dog rushed up to check on me!

Thank you so much for yet another fine post, sir. Happy month, happy days!

Posted 11 Months Ago


Part of the enjoyment of music, (as it is with literature,) is in the interpretation; an d as you so succinctly observe, only Mcclean knows for sure and having all the answers handed to us is no challenge at all.

As for the news; such is our species rather bizarre predilections for bad news, that good news, which actually abounds in this world, will mostly, I expect, continue to go unreported.

Enjoyed this.

Beccy.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Bad news was happening in the present as frequently as in the present and yet it feels more disturbing now. Probably because the media houses are now steeped in sensationalism. Reading the news is the root cause of many of my fear psychoses and apprehensions. Perhaps I'm going to cut down on the news reading and watching. I appreciated the story very much.

Posted 1 Year Ago


I do agree. A woman House Rep. from Georgia, every time she talks. A Saturday live skit. Today a woman House rep. in Ohio, want a 10 years girl to have a rapist baby. New leaders want to cut feeding poor children and ban books. Maybe, our world. Had lost its mind. Outstanding words and thoughts shared my friend.
Coyote


Posted 1 Year Ago


But you would have to admit it would be sorta funny if you opened that paper and found your obituary... LOL, maybe you should nip this in the bud and go ahead and write your obituary now, Eliminate the burden and have fun in the process:/ You could make up anything and have some final words for the people you didn't like in life LOL

Posted 1 Year Ago


It's always a good day if you're not in the obituaries. I gave up reading newspapers for my new years revolution. To date, it's the only one I've kept beyond Jan 2nd and life seems a little more uncreased for it, so small mercies.
As to being woke... I'm thankfully in a coma on that one, which is my answer to a lot of questions these days.
But on the plus side, it has taken over as the number one most annoying thing to be asked, which used to be asked anything at all, seeing them glaze over at your answer, only to be answered with "Well I just think..." Call me cynical, but I reckon that was the point in them asking, just so they could tell you what they think.
Oh, and beware breaking news. They're always doing that but never once have they fixed it 😊


Posted 1 Year Ago


The story is beautifully told in form of poetry and gives a good feeling to the reader. This style is extremely attractive

Posted 1 Year Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

154 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 14, 2023
Last Updated on March 14, 2023

Author

M.E.Lyle
M.E.Lyle

Wills Point, TX



About
So now I am 34 plus 40. Use the old math...it's easier. I'm an old guy who writes silly stories containing much too much dialogue. I can't help it, I just get stuck. I ride my bike trainer, our r.. more..

Writing
Meeting Kelli Meeting Kelli

A Story by M.E.Lyle


Sam Stone Hunter Sam Stone Hunter

A Chapter by M.E.Lyle


Sam Stone Fleora Sam Stone Fleora

A Chapter by M.E.Lyle



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Saplings Saplings

A Poem by Chris Shaw


homeland homeland

A Poem by lightsong