Opinion on Music and Our Generation: How i relate to Billy Gilmans Album called One Voice

Opinion on Music and Our Generation: How i relate to Billy Gilmans Album called One Voice

A Story by Mikuru
"

keep in mind i wrote this as my History of Rock 'N' Roll essay about how i could relate to this album or as i wrote my favourite song...

"

This is an Opinion from a teenager to the world about the music and lifestyles we live with now. If you have never heard the song One Voice by Billy Gilman please listen to it. It might not be the type of music your used to or like it but i'm asking you to have an open mind, if you can't and you read this anyway please do not leave a comment. Our generation is going down hill and in this song i feel it does talk about that and keeps me strong. This is my Essay about HOW I RELATE TO BILLY GILMANS ALBUM CALLED ONE VOICE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NlT-ELVWk0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Music is a part of life; it would be boring with it. Music helps make memories in a way; it doesn’t matter if it’s piano or hard rock. Some people relate themselves with the music itself and some people can relate the lyrics in the song. If someone is upset they might want to listen to an artist like Yiruma who is a very good piano player with his calming rhythms. Humans have feelings and a good way would be music, it’s always been there for people to relate too. Although because we are all different everyone relates to music differently, in this essay I’m going to talk about how my personal experiences with the album by Billy Gilman called One Voice makes it into my favorites.

            Billy Gilman is a young singer that in my opinion sings about things that really matter in life. He was ahead of his time in his lyrics with what he was singing about. For an example the song, “One Voice” which is where the album got its name, is about how life is ruff and how some things need to change and how it only takes one person to make a difference. It might not be the biggest difference but it still helps which is the reasons I writing about this album.

            To a personal level, this album saved me. It wasn’t long after my grandmother passed away that I started to realize what she had been talking about when she would say “the generations have gotten worse” but now more than ever. I found this album in her collection of CD’s and listened, the lyrics made me cry. Now to this day I listen to this album and his others. Although I find it really funny, Billy Gilman sang about shootings and ruff times about he probably doesn’t know how right he was. In this time and year I think he’s music means the most now than before. To me, his lyrics open my eyes to what is really around me. He kept his innocent, while he sang about things children his age wouldn’t understand or care about he didn’t change himself to please them. He sang about issues didn’t care about or ignored thinking they couldn’t do anything to change anything.

            While other artists his age Billy Gilman did not follow the others. While he still sang songs that would “get girls going” like other artists to get that type of fan group he sang about what he thought was important. Not getting the girl he wants or about how much he wants or haves but about the issues of the world. He did not ignore the fact that there are people sick and dying of diseases or that there is divorces. In a way he sang about things that some people really didn’t want to hear about but the subjects shouldn’t be something that we ignore but something that we try to influence. In a way I guess back in the 1960’s or ‘70’s his lyrics might have been censored, with would have been more inappropriate then his lyrics.

             Because of this album I feel that I have personally grown as a person, for I have not ignored or lived in a “perfect” world like some parents would like their children to think. Although yes as a child I was much censored on what types of music I was allowed to listen to in a way I find that it’s what helped me as a person see what the world and music is about. If it wasn’t for music like Billy Gilman sang in this album I might also be lost on the effects of the world and how the events of one thing can effect more than that one person. Due to artist like him, I feel like I am not blind like some teenagers my age might be.

            In conclusion, this album has affected me as a person, not only because of the music but for the meanings to his lyrics and songs. For when this artist came out I think his lyrics were ahead of his time in a good way. Because of him singing about life and not fantasy it helped me grow up with the right morals which I find some teenagers my age have lost due to some of the things influencing them. Maybe if more music singing about the issues would help others not ignore or blind themselves about what our reality and help change it from where we are going. If we continue we will be going into something which is a very sad reality.

© 2013 Mikuru


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
Added on January 27, 2013
Last Updated on January 27, 2013
Tags: Music

Author

Mikuru
Mikuru

Welland, Canada



About
I am curious, mischievous, and keep to myself. the only way i really like to talk about myself is when i put it into an anime character or in a poem or story. more..

Writing