Today I am Alice

Today I am Alice

A Story by Alice
"

humanity is lost only to be found....

"
As I slowly closed the door and dimmed the lights,I knew this was different,it felt different.Time after time I had been in this situation but nothing had affected me like this I remember thinking as I slowly pulled the curtin back and moved towards humanity.I began by taking the intervenous tubing out of this strangers hand,as I held his hand with care as if it was a babys hand, I spoke softly letting him know what I was doing and speaking words of comfort,I tucked his arm under the new clean sheet I had put on him earlier.I took off all of the electrobes and the sticky slap on paddles,noticing that his skin had already began to turn a yellow tint.Moving towards his head I took out my sizzors out and cut the tape away from his face and mouth,unwinding it from around his head,I pulled the airway tube from his mouth and put it in the trash.Making sure all of the evidence of medical interventions were removed I encircled his body looking for anything that I had forgotten.Stepping away from the man I got a wash cloth and ran water on it till in was warm and wet . I took the cloth and began to wash his body, As I washed and dried this body and face I looked at him and said a prayer but not a prayer more like letting him know that he was loved , my jesture was done out of love and humanity, yes humanity,death is harsh but I was bound to let humanity not be lost, end of life,we are still human, we would all like to be treated with kindness even after death, I hope it is with care and love ,even if done by a stranger. I straightened his head on the pillow and closed his mouth and then I took my hands, with a sweeping motion I closed his eyes forever.I stepped aside and gazed at him. Would this be exceptable for his family,If it me, would it be exceptable? I walked to the door pulling the curtin behind me,there was the family with tears in their eyes I asked if they were ready,they nodded.Moving into the room I pulled back the curtin half way ,lights still turned down low,I lead them to the family member that had been in my care,low voices saying thank you to me as they passed by me to join him at his side.Death can be harsh but humanity is not lost and forgotten.

© 2011 Alice


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
Added on April 30, 2011
Last Updated on April 30, 2011

Author

Alice
Alice

CA



About
I am nobody special,my heart tells me what to write,I dont think about what I write, it pours out from my mind. Today I am Alice,tomorrow I am Alice,but tonite I am only me,,,,all who enter my mind pl.. more..

Writing
Prisioner Prisioner

A Poem by Alice


Alone Alone

A Poem by Alice