The Procedure (Act 1)

The Procedure (Act 1)

A Story by DylanPeterson
"

Drew and Marisa struggle to survive in an apocalyptic zombie filled world. They go through a specific procedure every day to stay somewhat stable, but what happens when the procedure is interrupted?

"

Everyday

Part 1

 

 

 

          The street was silent except for the cold breeze that blew a plastic bag down the road past an abandoned car. There was one lone infected at the end of the street but he was too lazy to stand up.  Drew and Marisa were walking down the sidewalk. Marisa was lagging behind.

          “Hurry up.” Said Drew.

          “I have to tie my shoe.” Marisa kneeled down and started to tie.

          “Hurry, it’s getting dark.” They came to the closest house and stood next to the door. Drew pulled out a pistol and Marisa pulled out a knife. “You know the procedure.” Drew kicked down the door.

          The house was just like every other house they came across. They were always torn apart and had the same smell but Drew and Marisa were used to the smell. There was also always glass on the floor, probably from the picture frames of the people who don’t exist anymore.

 After searching the house they blocked the door with a couch. Drew and Marisa were sitting on the floor of what used to be a living room with a candle between them. Drew was eating a can of beans and Marisa just stared down at hers.

“I hate beans.” Said Marisa.

          “It’s all we have. You have to eat them.” Marisa picked up the can. She put a spoonful of beans in her mouth and slowly chewed with a nasty face. “Tomorrow we’ll go down to the market and see if there are any supplies we can get.” Drew finishes his can. “We can stay here tomorrow night too, then we’ll keep moving.”  It was silent for a moment.

          “I miss mom and dad.”

          “Me too.” Said Drew. Marisa looks down at the floor.

          “I should have helped them.” Marisa started to cry.

          “There was nothing you could have done.”

          “They were always there when I needed help and the one time they needed my help I wasn’t there for them.”

          “That’s why you couldn’t help them, you weren’t there, and I wasn’t there….” Marisa cuts him off

          “Zack was there!”

          “You can’t blame Zack, he barely made it out himself.”

          “And where is he now?” Marisa cried harder.

          “We both know where Zack is.” The room went silent beside Marisa’s crying.

          “It’s not fair.” Drew looks up at Marisa.

          “I know.” He says with a raspy voice. “We should get some sleep.”

         

Part 2

 

 

 

          Everything was blurry and Marisa was screaming. Drew was surrounded by the infected with no escape. Marisa and Drew were bifurcated. Drew had nothing to defend himself with and Marisa had nothing to help him with. Drew’s skin began to rip apart by the infected and Marisa started to cry. Then someone grabbed Marisa and ran away from Drew as he screamed in pain. Marisa could see Drew over the stranger’s shoulder as he got smaller.

          Marisa wakes up crying and wakes Drew with her heavy breathing.

          “What’s wrong? What happened?” Drew asked in distress.

          “Oh, thank god it was a dream!” Marisa hugs Drew crying into his shoulder. “It was so horrible!”

          “What happened?”

          “We were separated by infected and I was being taken away from you and…….” She hesitates.

          “And what?”

          “You…..you died.” Marisa went back to crying.

          “That won’t happen, I won’t let it happen. Ever!”

          “I don’t think I can go back to sleep.” Said Marisa as she laid back down.

          “It’s ok. We can just stay up.” Drew lit a candle. “Five hours of sleep is about how much sleep I get every night anyways and maybe I can figure out a way to get this fireplace started.” Drew stood up to go look for anything wooden to throw into the fireplace.

          “Drew?”

          “Yeah?”

          “Please don’t leave the room.” Drew stopped in place and stood in silence for a moment.

          “Ok.”

 

Part 3

 

 

 

          The fire was burning and the smoke rose high in the sky. Drew and Marisa sat next to the fire. “Are you ready to go?” Drew asked.

          “I guess.”

          “I know you hate doing these runs but I’m not leaving you here alone. Plus, I need your help. With you, we can carry more supplies and it’s always good to have an extra pair of eyes.”

          “I just…..get scared…of…of the Others.” Marisa was noticeably nervous.

          “I’m scared of them too, you’d be stupid not to be.” Drew stood up. “C’mon.” Drew helped Marisa stand. “The faster we do this the sooner we can eat more than beans.” Drew grabbed his machete, the only physical memory left by his dad. He sheathed it and put it on his belt. Then Drew grabbed his pistol and put it under his belt against his back. Drew looked at Marisa and saw that she had put her backpack on. “Do you have your knife?”

          “Yes.” Marisa took the knife out of her pocket and showed Drew.

          “Good.” Drew looked at the fire. “I should probably put this out before we go.” He filled a bucket of water and dumped it on the fire. Steam filled the room. “Alright let’s go.” Drew and Marisa closed the door behind them as they walked out and went down the street with the smoke behind them.

 

Part 4

 

 

 

          The market was just a small general foods store on an everyday corner on an everyday street. Drew and Marisa walked up to the small store. “It looks deserted.” Drew looked inside through the glass doors. The place was a mess but, there were a few supplies still left on the shelves. “I’m going to break the glass, if there is anything in there it will come out because of the noise.” They drew their weapons.

          “I’m ready.” Whenever Marisa said she was ready, Drew knew that what she really meant to say was “I’m afraid.” Drew hit the glass with the bud of his machete and the glass broke with ease. They stood in silence waiting.

          “I think it’s clear.” Drew began to walk in. “Stay close.” They walked inside the dark market.

When they were searching the store to make sure it was clear Drew found a dead man on the floor against a wall next to the registers.

          “Ew!” Marisa closed her eyes and turned away.

          “Grab everything you can until your bag is full.” Drew and Marisa began to rummage through the store. After a couple minutes flew by, Marisa gave a big surprised sigh. “What is it?” Drew asked.

          “I found marshmallows.”

          “Are they stale?”

          “They are little hard but, I don’t care. I haven’t had marshmallows since this whole thing started.”

          “Take them then, we can roast them over the fireplace tonight.” The noise of someone stepping on glass filled the room.

          “What was that?” Marisa whispered.

          “Shhh. Stay here. I’ll go check the front door.” Drew sneaks his way down the aisle with his machete in hand. He gets to the end and peaks around the corner to see the front door. “It’s clear!” Then Drew gets grabbed through the shelves. He tries to pull away but the dead man doesn’t let go and Drew starts to fall. The dead man follows, along with the shelf between them. Drew’s machete is knocked out of his hand and flies out of reach.

          “DREW!!!” Marisa runs out of the way of the falling shelf. Drew struggles to reach for his gun and pull it out of the holster. Marisa runs over to the dead man and stabs him in the back. The dead man turns around and lunges at Marisa. Drew grabs the dead man by the hand and slams him down against the shelf. He draws his gun and pulls the trigger right up against the dead man’s head. Blood flies all over Drew’s face. Drew crawls out from under the shelf and grabs his machete.

          “We need to leave! More will come because of the noise!” Drew pulls Marisa’s knife out of the dead man’s back. “Next time aim for the head!” He says as he hands her the knife.

          “I’m sorry.” Marisa was whimpering.

          “It’s fine. I’m fine.” Drew grabs his backpack. “Let’s just leave.” Drew walks out the door with Marisa close beside him.

 

Part 5

 

 

 

          Drew and Marisa were walking down the street towards the house. They could see the smoke coming from the chimney of the house. Marisa had opened the bag of marshmallows and stuffed her face with them.

          “How do they taste?” Asked Drew.

          She replied with a muffled voice. “Delicious!”

          “Good, I can’t wait to have some tonight.” Drew smiled.

          The house came into sight everything seemed fine except the door was wide open. “Marisa?”

          “Hm?”

          “Did you happen to leave the door open?”

          “No. Why?” She looked up and saw the house. “I closed it I swear!”

          “Stay here! If I’m not back in 5 minutes hide. Do not come looking for me!”

          “But what if you need my help?”

          “STAY HERE! I mean it!” Drew pulled out his gun and slowly crept up to the house. Marisa hid behind a bush and watched him.

          Drew very cautiously walked through the door. Everything looked clear but he noticed that the fire was in a blaze again. He began to walk towards the kitchen then WACK! Drew gets hit over the head with a bat which makes him fire his gun.

          Marisa hears the gunshot then a scream. She runs out from the bushes and begins to yell Drew’s name but a bag is thrown over her head and she is muffled. Someone pulls her back into the bushes.

          Drew, barely conscious, sees three men above him and a fourth whimpering on the ground.

          “Hello baby brother! Long time no seen!” Says a man.

          Drew’s eyes close and everything goes quiet.

© 2017 DylanPeterson


Author's Note

DylanPeterson
This is just the first act of the short story so far. I have not finished the rest but am interested in what other people think of it so far.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

77 Views
Added on January 18, 2017
Last Updated on January 18, 2017
Tags: Zombie, Survive, Apocalypse, Procedure

Author

DylanPeterson
DylanPeterson

Gilbert, AZ



About
My name is Dylan Peterson and I am 17 years of age. I love movies and the art of film and someday would love to be involved in creating films. I just post short stories and ideas that I have or think .. more..