Goodbye, love

Goodbye, love

A Story by Rebecca
"

An old man is eulogizing his recently deceased wife.

"

            I may have never told you, love, but you are more radiant than a New England sunrise, more beautiful than a blooming rose, and more than anything I could have hoped for in this desolate world. All those time I held you in my arms and said you were my life, my savior, my one and only angel I wasn’t jesting. You were my everything…and now you are gone.

            Do you remember when we first met, love? It was on a subway car in New York, the fullest one. I never told you, but I had been watching you on the subway from the moment you stepped on. I missed my stop just to be by you, despite the fact we hadn’t met. When the car jostled and knocked you off balance, I caught you at the last second, and the look on your face was astounding. You were full of surprise and shock and your look changed to awe and wonder. I would never let you fall and I told you at that moment. That was the first time we kissed, even before we knew the opposite's name.

            Our first year anniversary together is another occasion to recall. It was when I proposed to you in the middle of Time Square with all the tourists shoving their way around, trying to get photos of everything. You were so mad with me, though I can’t remember why. I didn’t know what else to do, I loved you so much. I didn’t want you to walk away from me without knowing what I had to say. I told you that from the moment I saw you, I was attracted. No, not in love, not then, but the every time I saw your face the feelings I had for you multiplied and turned into a roaring, fierceness inside of me that I couldn’t subdue. Without you next to me, the love I have for you grew so intense, it was hard to bear. I still feel that way about you, even now that you’ve left this world.

            Twelve months after that proposal, I stood at the altar in my tux, my best man standing beside me. The music began to play and everyone in the church turned to watch your entrance. I know every detail about you on that day. Your dress draped off your shoulders and your sleeves were a little too long, covering all but your fingertips. The train had white rose blooms resting on it. Your long, silky, black hair was twisted up onto your head with curls framing your tan face. Your cheeks were naturally red; you always hated make-up and you were always beautiful without it. Your eyes were glowing emeralds, my only jewels. The freckles on your face were dusted in angel wings across your nose and cheeks. And last…your lips. I remember the exact moment we kissed for the first time as a married couple. It was the kiss of best friends, of lovers, ones who were destined to be together to death do us part. And it did.

            When our first child was born, she was in the exact likeness of you. Her ebony curls, golden skin, and her lovely green eyes were perfect, just like you. Our second baby, a little boy, was identical to me, soft brown hair, light blue eyes, and a laugh to remember. Our babies were so adorable. Watching them grow to be beautiful, handsome adults was the experience of a lifetime. Remember when our little girl got married? It was such a happy day for her, such a sad, yet wonderful day for us. And when our little man found the right girl, he was thrilled. I remember watching them together and wondering if we were ever like that. You came over and kissed me, reminding me that we were still like that, perfectly in love. True, there were the arguments and disagreement, those nights I slept on the floor next to the bed. You always thought I was on the couch, but I didn’t want to spend a night so far away from you.

            I loved every second of growing old with you just as much as I loved you. Every day I loved you more and that will continue until the day I die. I love you. Goodbye, love.

© 2010 Rebecca


Author's Note

Rebecca
I was sorta depressed and just started writing. This is what ended up on the screen. I appreciate constructive criticism and if I made grammar errors, please tell me! I'll fix them!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

very good! Try to write poems.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

240 Views
1 Review
Added on August 29, 2010
Last Updated on September 10, 2010
Tags: goodbye, death, eulogy, rememberence

Author

Rebecca
Rebecca

MI



About
I am just a slightly antisocial being who loves acting, drawing, and writing. I do have friends, but they are sorta antisocial too! more..