hell will not touch us

hell will not touch us

A Story by Mirth
"

What would you have done?

"

               "Is it like your dreams, my love?"

 

     She sat strong, back erect & shoulders squared, a woman of no remarkable appearance, made divine in the throes of the blossoms around her. All about her, a sea of color & fragrance that was at once serene & heart breaking for its purity, stretched across the lands that would have gone on forever, if not for the tall, daunting stone barriers that reached so high they almost threatened the heavens. An Eden, enclosed from the wastelands that consumed the world outside these walls that she had miraculously surpassed.

 

     & now that she was here she had eyes for none of it. Rather, her eyes devoured the frame she held within her arms, slight & heavy, the body of a young man tanned & beautiful, perhaps, once. His eyes once warm & welcoming, orbs that had once inspired hope while all else around them floundered & were dragged to the dark abyss were now as dark & empty as all those who had surrounded her for all her life. His mouth, agape & already attracting the flies which twitched across his parched tongue, merely reiterated the death of him, spiritless & empty as he had never been in life. & she simply couldn't comprehend.

 

    Rather her mouth, bloody from her teeth's unnoticed constant, nervous gnawing chattered on, hopelessly flapping even while her body began to numb & vision swam, indulging his corpse in the memories they had shared together, throughout their short adulthood & childhood. Every confession she had ever held from him came now, in a rush, desperate, as if she were trying to make up for the time she missed, where he passed on his death bed while she had been miles away. His last moments within this earth...

she could not have been with him. But she could have granted his last dying wish, to trespass the grounds the Exalted denied to them, that had once been theirs, & show him the fields that had only graced his dreams.

 

    & time was running out. She could feel their approach in the tremors of the ground, the quiet shivers as the earth was raped from its depths, as hell pushed to the surface, called by its master who know of her trespassing. & she was glad, glad, that they were coming for her as she lay his body to rest beside her, his stiff body forced to lay straight with her farm girl's strength, for they would be disappointed. & for the last time she, too, did lie, eyes upon the heavens as she pillowed her head on his chest & pretended that it was his heart beat that lulled her to sleep rather than the poison that she had taken in such a dose.

 

    She could hardly be bothered to care as hands finally reached the surface, emaciated & ugly in its patched skin, chaining their legs with these manacles, as her vision darkened & the earth seemed to give way all around them. Rising up [or were they sinking down?] to consume them within its muzzle, taking them into the earth, together, & with the last strength of her dying heart she grinned & breathed his name.

© 2008 Mirth


Author's Note

Mirth
... I think I just wrote a romance.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

And yet again...your writeups has an air gloom surrounding them, not the gloom of the dull and desolate, but mysterious and baffling. U miss a line, u might miss the whole aura created for the reader. And this writeup has showed how deep and insightful ur writeups can be :)))
Great work...cheers.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is so amazing! I loved the flow of the story. It was perfect for the scene that came to my mind as I read. It was sad and yet a little romantic. Very good write!

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

232 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 25, 2008

Author

Mirth
Mirth

Gibsonville; Come find me., NC



About
Hello; I'm writing, writing writing. Please review Moan, Baby, Moan. It's the first story I've ever wanted to take somewhere. more..

Writing
Chapter II Chapter II

A Chapter by Mirth



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..