Winning While Losing

Winning While Losing

A Story by Miss Eve

“Run! Quickly! Fill up the buckets and come over here!” Exclaimed , Laura. We had only started the barrel challenge a couple minutes before when Laura was already screaming orders and becoming frustrated. It was the last time we were going to do the barrel challenge. That was the only time I could actually understand Laura. All the yelling started making me nervous, I guess that was why I started tripping somehow finding something to catch me off guard...

Last year in the sixth grade I was in Team Acadia (the best sixth-grade team) and throughout that year, we did great activities or games as a team. My favorite activity we did was the barrel challenge.The rules of the competition are simple, a large group splits into two teams if they choose. One team goes first while the other waits inside. Each team has to try to fill up a school trash bin with water. They have two hoses and four buckets to transport the water. Seems easy right? Here’s the catch, the trash bin is covered with bullet holes.  We completed the barrel challenge at the beginning and end of the school year. The first time was homeroom against homeroom while the second was girls against boys.

While the girl team waited for it to be our turn we started planning. Correction, Carina, Kay and I watched the rest of the team argue and whine. I wouldn’t exactly call watching the team “plan” fun. I think the correct word would probably be entertaining or maybe even amusing. Anyways, after about half an hour of arguing Carina stepped in and asked about what job she would have. I was so surprised when everyone actually listened to her. After that, planning really started happening. The plan was finally finished right when it was our turn. I was given the job of transporting the water with a bucket.

Walking down the hall took an eternity. I don’t think I was the only one who thought that either. Everyone desperately wanted to start the bucket challenge. When we got outside we instantly bolted to our destination.

Once we arrived, Mr. Douphinett took off with the rules. I’m positive he was purposely taking his time with the knowledge of how much we all wanted to start and win. The worst part was everyone already knew the rules from the last time we did the bucket challenge. At one point it seemed like Mr. Douphinett was finally finished with the rules when he added the last and worst rule ever. We weren’t allowed to get him wet. If we did get him wet, even on accident, we would receive a penalty.

Now back to the story, luckily, I reached the trash bin before a disaster occurred. Of course, not all the water made it in the trash bin. Like I explained before, I already started tripping before I reached the trash bin. I spilled some water on a couple of people in the process. Oh well, they wanted to be wet anyways. I couldn’t help but laugh! What? It was funny. That probably wasn’t the best idea since not everyone was happy about getting wet. I blame them. For a while, everything went smoothly. Until Mr. Douphinett told us what time it was. The result was people starting to fall and become wet. At least no one was bored!

We were almost done when Mr. Douphinett’s phone rang. Of course, he answered it. About a quarter in his phone call we finished. Right, when that last bucket was emptied everyone started to scream. Have you ever heard someone scream at the top of their lungs? Just imagine that but multiply the volume by about twenty then add the pitch of an average twelve-year-old girl. No matter what we did Mr. Douphinett wouldn’t turn off his phone. While we were trying to grab Mr. Douphinett’s attention the trash bin started to leak. It seemed like I was the only one who noticed the trash bin so I grabbed my bucket and had someone fill it up for me so that the trash bin wouldn’t be empty by the time Mr. Douphinett came to check it.

It felt like hours by the time Mr. Douphinett hung up the phone and came to check the trash bin. When he mentioned it wasn’t filled everyone started to panic once again. Mr. Douphinett let that go on for a couple of minutes. Once everyone finally calmed down Mr. Douphinett told us we just needed one more bucket of water. So we quickly grabbed a bucket, filled it with water and quickly dumped the water into the trash bin. Right after that was done Mr. Douphinett told we beat the time of the boys’ team.

At first, I was so happy that we won. Until I realised that was the last bucket challenge we were going to do. The school year was coming to an end. It was the last week of school in the sixth grade. I think others soon realised that too. Katherine, Carina and I didn’t want the school year to end. The worst part about it was Mr. Burke was leaving. After that year, he was going to start teaching seventh-grade social studies in Old Orchard. When we found out, you could have heard a pin drop. No one was happy about him leaving. For awhile I wasn’t happy about him leaving. Until Mr. Douphinett told me I would always be able to visit him. He told me, “You’ll enjoy the seventh grade. Just think of it as another chapter in your book.” That was when I realised nothing lasts forever. Even though everything will have its end at some point, there will always be another adventure waiting to be conquered.

© 2016 Miss Eve


Author's Note

Miss Eve
Do you have any advice for what I should work on for my future writing?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very entertaining and humorous. I bet Mr. Douphinett would be proud. My advice? Keep writing. Your ability to tell a story while keeping your readers (who in this case happen to be aimed at a younger audience) immersed in your story is a great way to write.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 31, 2016
Last Updated on May 31, 2016

Author

Miss Eve
Miss Eve

Westbrook, ME



About
I'm sixteen and a writer. I want to someday become an author and have a literacy agency. It will be: Lessard Literary Agency more..

Writing
Fear Fear

A Poem by Miss Eve