First Steps to a Friend

First Steps to a Friend

A Story by MissVixen
"

Meeting my bestfriend for the first time

"

As my mother and I exited the Barton �"Test Theatre, I couldn’t help feeling alone even though she was right by my side. There I was, thrown into a world wind of new students and on the verge of attending a school 10 times the size of my previous school without a friend in the world. My eyes cast down to my feet, afraid that if I made eye contact with someone, something embarrassing might slip out of my mouth that I would regret in the long run.

My mother spoke to me words that I have now forgotten, but for some reason, I lifted my eyes from my feet and that is when I saw her. She stood there with her mother as well; my eyes darted from one person to the next, yet keeping her in my peripheral vision. Her hair was different shades of brown, black and gold probably due to the fact that she loved the sun. Our eyes met as she looked at me and smiled slightly and I couldn’t help but return the smile.

I tugged on my moms’ sleeve, like a child wanting a new toy to be purchased only to be forgotten about later. I tilted my head towards the new face who had actually given me a smile and asked my mom if she would assist me in this new friendship. My mom laughed and shook her head as we began to approach the girl and her mother.

“Excuse me,” my mother said as I stood behind her slightly “My daughter is too shy to admit this but she was wondering if your daughter would like to be her friend?”

I felt myself become overwhelmed with embarrassment as the lady and her daughter smiled delightfully. The girl nodded as I gained enough courage to tell her my name and she, in return gave me hers.

That was the beginning of my 9th grade year at Westtown. Throughout the 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th grades we have shared many mishaps and joyous times with one another. Our years at Westtown School are coming to an end.  We now are both seniors looking at various colleges in different parts of the country. We will be going our separate way, however, our friendship will remain strong and steady as we find our individual voices. We sometimes look back on the past and remember how we first met.  We have never regretted my mother taking the first step in establishing our friendship for a second.

© 2010 MissVixen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like it

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

178 Views
1 Review
Added on September 17, 2010
Last Updated on September 17, 2010

Author

MissVixen
MissVixen

Norfolk, VA



About
I love to write and hope to one day become a successful author in the future. For now, I'm struggling through college, just taking it a day at a time. I hope to meet writers who are interested in my w.. more..

Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Poem by MissVixen


Spring Spring

A Poem by MissVixen