What the Cat Was Thinking

What the Cat Was Thinking

A Story by Miss Fedelm
"

Sometimes I think too much.

"

What the Cat Was Thinking


When you look back on your life and realize that, for the most part, you've been a fool, is this the beginning of wisdom, or just the realization that you're simply a fool and pretty much always have been? I suppose it's better to be a fool and to know it than to be one and not know it, though I have no good arguments supporting this.


But what is a fool? It's much more than someone unconcerned about the future. I know many people who give little thought to the future and most land on their feet time after time. Their unconcern is a form of confidence in their uncanny abilities. They don't need a lot of planning and preparation because they can almost always deal with things as they come.


I think a fool is someone who thinks they're OK when they're not. Foolishness is form of dishonesty or blindness. A person who kids themselves is a fool, and not necessarily the person who lives recklessly, although that person can also be a fool.


I can recall many moments of foolishness in full bloom. Myself at 25, with a few drinks in me, congratulating myself on my success in life, when I was not really that successful in my career and not really that well regarded among my peers. Perhaps not that well regarded because I was viewed as a bit of a self deluding fool.


The antidote to foolishness seems to be honesty with oneself. A very difficult thing for a fool to achieve as a fool is by nature person who habitually deludes themselves. It's like a blind person who will remain blind until he sees the clouds. The guy is going to be blind for a long time.


Spiritual practice is helpful and seems to be geared towards handling this dilemma. Here, the first step is humility, which is much easier to attain than honest self awareness, but which can lead to honest self awareness. Pride is simple and can be felt, and because it can be felt, it can be stamped out over time. Whenever it is felt, it is simply recognized as wrong thinking and examined. A floating feeling that you are better than the others can usually be put away by an honest evaluation. Each time this happens, humility grows, and as humility grows, so does honest self awareness. In fact, a truly humble person simply sees himself as he honestly is. No more, and no less.


Simplicity, but not to the point of poverty, is a good expression of humility. Possessions beyond a basic comfort level are simply expressions of pride. While everyone may need a car in this day and age, a person does not need a Maserati. And possessions beyond a basic comfort level seem to be simply harmful distractions.


And, as with the old National Lampoon game of Owls and Lugers, coveting counts double. While owning a Maserati is very dangerous to one's spiritual well being, wanting one but not being able to afford one is a disaster, like a black velvet painting of Elvis in the art of living. For being happy with what you have is the first step of Simplicity.


So I suppose that the onset of enlightenment is the realization that you were a fool. The second stage of enlightenment is the realization that you still are a fool. And the final stage is the realization that this is kind of funny.


© 2019 Miss Fedelm


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

One of the best philosophical ramblings I’ve read on this website in 2 years being here. Many are too full of themselves to pull off these statements intended to summarize people in general. It’s always dangerous to make pronouncements about people in general, but writers here do it all the time. In your case, you are self-honest enuf to make a statement that I can wholeheartedly embrace & ponder with a fair bit of glee (even tho I’m not the philosophical type). Before I qualify as a rambling fool myself, I’ll just shut up & say this is well written, well-supported with imaginative examples, & surprizingly solid (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Miss Fedelm

5 Years Ago

Thank you. I was always afraid it would sound preachy or pompous.



Reviews

One of the best philosophical ramblings I’ve read on this website in 2 years being here. Many are too full of themselves to pull off these statements intended to summarize people in general. It’s always dangerous to make pronouncements about people in general, but writers here do it all the time. In your case, you are self-honest enuf to make a statement that I can wholeheartedly embrace & ponder with a fair bit of glee (even tho I’m not the philosophical type). Before I qualify as a rambling fool myself, I’ll just shut up & say this is well written, well-supported with imaginative examples, & surprizingly solid (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Miss Fedelm

5 Years Ago

Thank you. I was always afraid it would sound preachy or pompous.
Your wisdom is hard-won precious to me also. Lots and lots of Twelve-Step meetings in my case....

As always, your stuff is FUN to read.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Miss Fedelm

5 Years Ago

Thank you for reading.
Miss Fedelm

5 Years Ago

For 12 Step stuff try "Travels With William". I'm afraid it might be offensive to some. See what you.. read more
Vivian Fisk

5 Years Ago

Will do; I just woke up and we have to go out now, but I will do it at the first opportunity!
i can really relate to par 3 and para 4.
i love this i love it to bits words cannot express.
i have sent to a few close friends on here and hope they love it as much as me!
great work.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Miss Fedelm

5 Years Ago

Thank you.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

259 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 25, 2018
Last Updated on January 3, 2019
Tags: Spirituality, Happiness

Author

Miss Fedelm
Miss Fedelm

Aspen, CO



About
I'm a lawyer by education, but mostly I've worked in ski towns and hung out there. Sometimes doing some pretty menial jobs. I was on a ski team for a while, and I got to show my stuff in competition, .. more..

Writing