Project Athena

Project Athena

A Story by Nykol
"

A girl who has an interesting back story. Her friends do not know about her secret. Can you find her secret?

"

Project Athena


By: Nykol 










Prologue



“Where am I”

“Who am I”

“Who are you”

Those were my first three questions.

Those where the start of my creation, Me, Myself and I.

………………...

“Our creation is complete,” a blurry voice said on the other end of the room.

Wait, how do I know how to speak, What is happening. I sat up and ripped the things that were holding me down. I looked around, got up and screamed. The most piercing scream came out of my mouth. I shook my head and looked down at my body. I was in hospital clothes. Again! How did I know I was wearing hospital clothes! How do I know this language! I moved my hands around I touched something for the first time it was warm. The I just realized. I was in a dark room. I took a breath of air, and then smelled the room. It was musty, filthy and slimey. I looked back down at my body and saw my feet. They were bare footed. The floor was slimy and mushy. I looked around the room, there was a man sitting on this, Chair?

“So, you're finally awake! After all these years, you finally work!” This man said.

“Who are you, and what do you want with me?” I said.

“I am Maddox Slate, I mean of course you knew that, every single name is in your system. Then I got hit with this pain, not hurt pain, but knowledge pain. All of these things came flooding into my mind, memories…….. Not mine, but others. I looked around again. This time fully examining the room. There was no one there besides him and I.

“Why did you refer “ME” as our creation,” I questioned him.

“Well, I referred to ME and YOU,” he responded, “It was a two part help.”

“Okay, so what am I,” I asked.

“Oh, where to start,” he replied with a grin.












Chapter 1


I woke up in my 6 bedroom town house. Currently, at the time, I was living with my 4 best friends. Two of them were on vacation in Peru. So it was just the three of us left. Me, Lucille Delaney. My friend Embry Emberson, and, Jáck Fleur. Later during day we were just sitting around in the living room waiting for our chinese food to arrive. It felt like hours were passing.The moment the doorbell rang and I sprung up. I opened to door and saw a man somewhat familiar standing there.

“Are you miss Lucille Delaney,” said the man.

“Yes, why do you ask, and who are you?” I responded trying to remember where I have seen him.

“ Miss Lucille Delaney, I am Robert. Your great uncles butler,” Robert answered.

“Oh… Your that damn creepy butler of his. And what about my great uncle. He never talked to me anyway,” Lucille answered angrily.

Robert cleared his throat and said, “Your great uncle has left you something under his name. A will.”

He handed me the will and walked away. He turned around and said. “I almost forgot, here is your chinese food. Have a good night miss Lucille Delaney. Or should I say Athena Delaney.”

I looked at him surprised. How did he know my name? Does he know where I came from, and my past?

He walked up to the limousine, I am assuming he pulled up in.

I walked to the kitchen and threw the chinese food away, not trusting it.

I walked to the living room and asked, “Who’s up for pizza?”

“What happened to the chinese food? Also, who was that creepy man at the door?” asked Embry.

“Well, the chinese food was just garbage (Obviously I lied, because well I didn't want my friends to think I was paranoid) And I am in the mood for pizza,” I answered the first one trying to make he forget the other one.

“Okay.. I mean your paying. But you didn't answer my second question.” Embry said, the last thing I wanted.

“Okay, okay, I will answer your question but first let me order pizza,” I said.

I went to pick up my phone to call the pizza and somebody called me. All I could hear was these two words, “READ IT” I immediately hung up out of fear. I ran to the living room and told them what happened. They all thought it was probably some random kids doing a prank call. That's what I was hoping. I finally ordered the pizza and started explaining who my great uncle was.





Chapter 2



“So, that creepy man served under my uncle for 40 years. His name is Robert,” I explained.

“Okay, so who was your “great uncle” anyway. Also what is his name?” Jáck asked.

I took in a big inhale wondering should I tell them. I mean they are my best friends. What could happen, I guess?

“Okay, Whew, I have never told anyone about this,” I said.

“Dont worry. It will be our secret!” Embry said.

“Okay, huh, where to start. Umm.. okay. My great uncle worked for the military for about 50 years. It was only recently that he quit. He was working on a project called “Athena”. Which was creating an artificial person to kill and be emotionless. The project failed. They created a robot with personality but who was willing to kill ONLY if in danger. Not kill just by being told.” I said while my mouth just kept getting drier.

“Okay gurl, so what is his name?” Jáck asked.

I took in a deep breath and said, ‘Maddox Slate.”

“MADOX SLATE!” both of them said together.

“Everyone knows about him! The brilliant inventor.

‘Yeah that's him. He was a pretty crappy uncle.” I responded.

“Yeah, but you know he died about two days ago.” Embry said with a pitiful look on her face.

“Yeah. OH! Wait that man gave me his will,” I stood up and walked toward the kitchen counter and picked it up and sat back down.

“Read it outloud! Come on Luc, please!

“Fine, but if there is any private information I can skip it,” I said.

They both nodded.

I started reading.


My dearest Lucille.

If you are reading this. It means I have gone from this body and onto the next. In this will I leave you my 200 acre estate and 1 million dollars. I love you my little clam. I will see you in my next lifetime.


-Maddox Slate.


I looked up and saw both of my friends stare at me with envy.

“What----” I said about to finish my sentence then a noise coming

from my phone. A phone call. From the same unknown number.

I looked over at my friends and answered my phone.

NOW THAT YOU HAVE READ IT, WE WILL FIND YOU, AND KILL YOU.” Then something knocked on the door.

I looked through the peephole and there was a black bloody figure standing there.

It looked like smoke, or a wisp. I gasped at the sight of it. It was hideous but yet mesmerizing. I shook my head and snapped out of it. I ran to my friends. Within the second. (I am very fast)

“We have to leave now!” I said rushing and getting things I needed.

“Why? What's wrong?” Embry said.

“Look out the pinhole,” I said rushing around.

She got up and looked through the pinhole. Chuckled and then opens up the door.

“Lucille, it's just the pizza guy.” Embry said.

“What!” I said as I was walking over and saw the pizza man just stand there. Then say,

now

The

You

Have

Red

Its

Wi

Wil

Fnd

U

Nd

Kl

U

Then he shook his head and apologized. He explained that he was autistic. I didn’t believe him for one second.

As he gave us the pizza saying it was on him, a black wisp came from him and his eyes turned blood red. Only for a split second. I realized. He was a shapeshifter. I thanked him for the pizza and slammed the door in his face.   I ran picked everything up and told my friends to come with me.

“Why Luce? We were just about to eat our pizza!” Embry said.

“That guy was a shapeshifter, take form of people he kills,” I responded rushing around.

“Girl, you are crazy! There is no shape shifter,” Jáck said smiling.

“Okay, while you guys die, I am going to my uncle's estate to take shelter,” I said knowing the would ask to come.

“Your going to his estate! I wanna come! Please Luce! I beg you!” Embry pleaded.

“Sure, grab what you need and meet me here in 4 minutes,” I said thankful that my friend was tricked. “What about you Jáck? You wanna come?”

“Girl, you know me. I would looooveee to,” Jáck said.

I took a big sigh of relief knowing that my friends will be safe with me.

They meet me downstairs and I grabbed my keys to my truck. We loaded up and drove away. I remember everything. Even from I was little. I was driving down the country way, over and through the hill. We have been driving for almost 16 hours. The beautiful sun was rising from over the hill. We took the i5 route to get to my uncle's house. Well, since he lived on a cliff over the ocean.  We drove up in the driveway which was about one mile long. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw my friends sit there, in awe.

We drove up to the gate. I remember it being really guarded. Still seems it is. I drove up to the gate.

“Do you have the password,” The guard said.

“Umm…,” I said.

“You should know miss Lucille. Think about your past,” the guard said with a crazy smile.

“Pr.. project Athena,” I said while stumbling on my words.

“Enjoy your new estate miss Lucille,” the guard responded.

“By the way, can I change the password?” I asked.

“No miss Lucille, you can’t,” the guard answered blankly.

“Okay…” I answered.

As we were pulling up many people came to greet me and my friends. Many welcoming hellos where said. We hopped out of the truck and people took our bags and lead us to our rooms. I was hoping everything would be okay, then I heard a scream. I come to the door and see my two friends from Peru laying down on the floor. Blood pouring from their throats. I went to check their pulse. There was a faint beat!

“Get the medics NOW!” I screamed.

Within 10 seconds there was entire medic team was hooking them up to system that were stabilizing their body.

“WHO IN THE BLOODY F*****G HELL DID THIS!”  I screamed, “IF I FIND YOU I WILL FREAKING MURDER YOU!”

Everyone stood there. No movement. Fear in their eyes, trembling. After I did that I immediately felt sorry.

I looked down at the floor and said, “Sorry for scaring you. I didn't intend it.”

They could not take their eyes off of me, everyone just stood there.



Chapter 3


The bodies were already taken to the infirmary and treated. They said it would take them some time to heal, but with their new nano nites technology that will heal them in a faster time. I walked from the infirmary and out into the hall. Took a breath and started walking toward my bedroom. I heard someone calling me.

“Luce! Luce! what happened back there?” Embry asked.

“Oh, it's nothing,” I said walking away. I didn't really want to talk.

“Luce, you can always come to me!” Embry exclaimed.

“I just want to be alone right now,” I said.

I turned around and looked her eye to eye. I could see she was hurt by my words.

“U.. U.. Okay Luce. See you later… I guess..” Embry responded on the verge of tears.

I walked away feeling sorry for her. I took a breath and ran back and gave her a hug.

“Please don't take it the wrong way,” I said sounding sincere.

“Its okay Luce. I don't blame you for being mad,” Embry answered.

“Thanks Em, you really are a best friend,” I responded.

We walked down the hallway and separated to get to our rooms. I looked back and saw a wisp of smoke coming out of Embry’s back as she shut the door behind her. I ran to the door, and knocked. I grabbed the knob and turned it. It was unlocked? But why?

I walked into the room, looked around and no one was there? I remember when I was young every room had at least 3 escape routes. Everyone had a different pattern. But, the all lead to the same ending. I checked the out the room. Seeing where an escape route could be. Then I remembered, this was my room when I was young. I walked to the mirror and pressed the buttons that were decorating the mirror. I made sure they were in a specific pattern. The mirror started to open, there was a dark tunnel leading through the mirror. I looked behind the mirror, there was no path. It was separated from the wall. Then I went back and checked the mirror, the tunnel was there. It was as if it was another dimension. I crawled inside the mirror and walked down this dim lit tunnel. I looked back, and the gate closed behind me. I took a deep breath and moved on. I peeked around the corner and saw the wisp walking down the tunnel about to take a right. I ran down the tunnel, silently, I peered around the corner, then something grabbed me from the behind, on my shoulder. It was Jáck,

“What are you doing here Jáck?!” I whispered.

“I followed you. Well, I saw you walk into the room and saw you disappear through the glass, I flipped out girl! It closed and I re-put in the combination, and that's how I got here!” Jáck answered.

“You need to get out. It's not safe for you here!” I responded.

“And it's safe for you?,” Jáck responded.

“Yes, it is, I know my way around, you don't. Plus you could get hurt, I don't want another fried ending up almost dying,” I said.

“But you could die, I am coming no matter what you say,” Jáck said.

A few moments passed

“Thank you for your kindness Jáck, but this is something that I have to overcome. Leave, lock yourself in your room. Do not open the door to anyone, and I mean anyone,” I said.

“No, I am staying and that is the end of that,” Jáck said.

I took a deep breath and said, “Jáck, please, understand what I am saying.”

“If I die, I die. I feel like I would rather die with a friend by my side the hide as a coward,” Jáck said earnestly.

I started walking and looked back at him and nudged my head signaling to come. He gave me a thankful look and kept quiet. We were walking through the tunnels, then I remembered, Jáck can sign! I told him in sign “Keep quiet, we don't want anything to hear us.”

He responded, “Yeah, that is what I assumed.”


Chapter 4



We kept walking down the tunnel and we finally arrived to the place we needed to be.  It was a room, musty and filthy. I looked around remembering this place. I the saw this door leading into another room. I open the door and gasped, I covered my mouth, I looked back at Jáck and saw his expression. There wasn't much expression in his face, only two, sadness and disgust.  All of these bodies were in these tubes. I spotted one person that caught my eye. Embry. There tears were falling from her eyes, running down her face.”

“It looks like you have found my prized possessions,” a voice said from behind.

“Maddox Slate, what should I have guessed...” I said.

Jáck gasped at the sight of him, “ I thought you were dead?”

“So does everyone else. Such closed minded people. Never think of the unexpected,” Maddox replied.

I ran up to him and pinned him to the wall.

“Why would you do something like this you crazy b*****d! All of these innocent people dying, you, draining the life from them,” I screamed.

“It my new project, since you were a failed one,” he replied.

I tighten my grip around his neck.

“What do you mean failed?” Jáck asked.

“Oh, you didn't know? Why don't you tell him Athena?” Maddox said.

“YOU DO NOT CALL ME BY THAT NAME!” I yelled at his face. “Why, why do you always ruin my life!”

“Ruin? Athena I created you!” Maddox said.

“No, you are just a guy everyone thinks is great and is a saviour to our kind! But underneath that you are just foul. Rotten. Look at you old and crazy! You take the life from others!” I told him, “You are just hiding under this veil of acting, acting like you are good, but look around you! This is not good!”

“Look at you finally standing up to me, you piece of metal scrap!” Maddox said while laughing maniacally.

“What do you mean?” Jáck interrupted.

“She is a military operative, made by yours truly,”  Maddox said again with that crazy smile.

“Your… a… a.. Robot! Girl, I always knew that!” Jáck said.

“How do you know?” I said.

“I am your friend girl, I have seen you throughout these years, plus I am paranoid.” Jáck said while laughing.

I shared a laugh with him.

“And you're okay with it? I have always had a fear you guys would leave me because of who I am,” I said releasing my grip on Maddox.

“Of course, you will always be my friend. I would never leave you, nor Embry,” Jáck said sounding sincere.

“Thank you,” I said as a tear fell down my face, I didn't even know I could cry.

The something smacked me in the face. Maddox. I ran and pinned him to the ground.

“I am going to kill you,” I said.

“Okay, go ahead,” Maddox said with a crazy smile.

“You have done so much to me, cause so much pain and no one will ever know, or should I release all of you information on national tv,” I said with a threatening tone.

“You wouldn't dare,” Maddox said feeling threatened.

Then with just one thought I projected it onto emergency news.

“This is the man that you think is great. You might think he is a military inspiration. But he is a killer,” I said looking around showing the world these bodies, “This is who you thought was practically a god.”

I ended the broadcast, quick and short but meaningful, and stood up, pulling Maddox with me.

“Jáck, release all the people,” I said.

As he was releasing all the people I said to Maddox, “I have a reason to live, friends. What do you have, nothing. You will be locked in this tube until the law enforcement come and give you a fair trial. You better be thankful, you don't deserve it, this is me showing you I can contain myself. Otherwise fate would have said different,” I said not giving him a chance to respond.

I put him in the tube and took everyone to through the tunnels and lead the out to the house. The authorities came and took Maddox to jail. They had made a trial for him 3 months later.



Chapter 5


I went and took place at the trail. I stood as a witness and at the end Maddox was sentenced death. After this I have become okay with myself.

“Well, that was fun,” Embry said.

I hugged her and said, “I am so glad you are okay.”

“Me two,” Embry said.

We shared a chuckle.

As we were walking out I remembered the shapeshifters. I took a pause in our walk.

“Everything okay Lucy?” Jáck asked.

“Yeah,” I said shaking my head.

I guess that will be our next obstacle.




The end




© 2018 Nykol


Author's Note

Nykol
Please leave your review on my short story! Thank you for taking you time to read and rate this!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

75 Views
Added on May 15, 2018
Last Updated on June 7, 2018

Author

Nykol
Nykol

About
Many genres, many stories to tell... more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Nykol


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Nykol


SAY SAY

A Book by Nykol