Hot Chocolate

Hot Chocolate

A Story by Mizar

The frosted metal rail bites into my hands as I look down into the turning waters below. White teeth grin at me as they spin around the rippling waves in an eternal dance. I’m transfixed as the snowflakes flutter about my face, catching in my hair and sneaking down the neck of my coat with a shivering gentle touch. I think of the long trudge home, and the worse kind of cold that resides inside its walls. Whatever happened to those good old days? Of merry laughter around the fireplace, decorated with dripping scarves and mittens. The storm could rage on outside and we would bid it no heed. What can outside world do that could penetrate this halo of warmth? I step up onto the first rung, leaning to watch the floating chucks of ice bob the surface like the marsh mellows that used to float in my hot chocolate mug. The waves fold over one another, tumbling, crawling, trying so hard to get somewhere. I wonder where they’re going…

“Hey.” A light hand touches my elbow and I look to see Richard’s soft eyes watching me with confusion. “What are you doing?”

I blink. Once. Twice.

“Nothing.” I answer, stepping down with a crunch of snow.

He regards me for a moment, his breath a single thread of stream snaking between his lips, his eyes darting around my face, searching.

“Alright, come on. I told you I’d treat you to some hot chocolate.” He shrugs, turning about and with a wave of his gloved hand, motions for me to follow.

I watch him walk for a moment, his long swaggering step and his chestnut hair curling around the nap of his neck. I throw a final gaze towards the railing and the river down below, then I follow him.

© 2015 Mizar


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
Added on January 24, 2015
Last Updated on January 24, 2015

Author

Mizar
Mizar

Writing
Lilybell Lilybell

A Poem by Mizar


Soldier's Song Soldier's Song

A Poem by Mizar