Remix

Remix

A Poem by Moflo
"

Inspired by the reaction of an Urban-dressed youth at a jukebox.

"
"Standing in line, marking time
Waiting on the welfare dime
'Cuz they can't buy a job"


It's at this point that he realizes
The song he picked came with surprises,
Forehead veins begin to throb.

Excitement fades, it's not the song
He used to like, he'd sing along.
His fingers scramble for the skip

His body cowers like a mass
Of soldiers fumbling for their masks
After being told a gas-shell's hit.

And now he is appalled to hear
A slower song that hurts his ears
And renders him to take all measures

To prove this song did not exist!
Its ravished beat! Its cringing twist!
"2Pac had no predecessor!"

As a rural voice, instead, protrudes
A southern drawl, acoustic tune
A beat, to him, sounds only jaded.

Uncomfortable to what he's heard,
While what he's used to is preferred,
He waits until the song has faded.

-And says: "Its 2Pac's song, it was always his!"
As all the bar agrees with strength,
I get mad, but soon grow less than passionate,
As in the modern music market, That's Just The Way It is.

© 2011 Moflo


Author's Note

Moflo
I can safely say the kid thought he was playing "Changes" by 2Pac, but instead played "The Way It Is," by Bruce Hornsby, the song 2Pac sampled.

Song that played:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85KCbjxxzTE

Also important to note: The first stanza of this poem is the first stanza of the Bruce Hornsby song "The way it is"

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I think we all do this. I sometime get pissed off at the remake classic songs like Under my Thumb by The Rolling Stones and so on but then it quickly passes. Music is ever changing and moving in different directions just like poetry and art. I guess that is why I have a huge variety of music that I like.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

ahaha this is brilliant, i love a succesfully comedic poem and this is one of the best. Great descriptions:
His body cowers like a mass
Of soldiers fumbling for their masks
After being told a gas-shell's hit.

i can really perceive it as you did through your writing and get all the nuances of the irony you describe. Not an easy job, but you did it wonderfully!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shock, horror to find songs altered, sung in a different tempo, different emphasis on lyrics, etc.. and yes, understandable to be upset. I guess what's important is to listen to everything but stick to whichever version preferred, be open-minded, but, be strong-minded. Music, writing, art is all personal choice, it's a person's prerogative to have favourites.
Your theme for this post is unusual, you certainly vary your peoms' topics.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This was very good. I really liked it. I'm quite impressed by the way you structured this poem and your use of tone. Great write.

Posted 12 Years Ago


(Smiling) I love the song "the way it is"
At first I didnt get it but after reading the note it all became clear.
This is well written and an interesting topic to write about. So true.


Posted 12 Years Ago


I like some remakes, but can do without others. You did a great job writing this, ti flows well and is written just the same.

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
:)
bam!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Hey Celeste, the first stanza is the opening lyrics of the Bruce Hornsby song that played instead of "Changes." I also think it does take serious talent to sample/remix music into a new beat but this poem, more over, attacks the marketing of the music where the beat that 2Pac sampled(a song dealing with the plights of racism) is criticized and instantly hated simply for being a different song. Nothing against the music itself, more against the music industry.

Posted 12 Years Ago


What does the first stanza have to do with the poem? I've seen many re-makes of songs, and have found I usually always like the re-make better. In some cases both. Music trascends past all trivial things- I hope. For instance, I think Mariah Carey did the song Bringin on the heart break much justice, even though I see many other individuals believe otherwise. People should just appreciate talent. Who cares if you get inspired from someone from a diffrent genre or the other side of the tracks.. All I can think is copying is the best form of flattery.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Nothing in music is original anymore, not of late anyway1
This is as always love, perfection!
A brilliant topic for a poem and conveyed in an excellent manner xx

Posted 12 Years Ago


I think we all do this. I sometime get pissed off at the remake classic songs like Under my Thumb by The Rolling Stones and so on but then it quickly passes. Music is ever changing and moving in different directions just like poetry and art. I guess that is why I have a huge variety of music that I like.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

441 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 31, 2011
Last Updated on June 5, 2011

Author

Moflo
Moflo

NY



About
I am a 26 year old recent college grad trying to establish myself. Recently moved back to NY from Pennsylvania and looking for work. Now working on becoming an English teacher. more..

Writing
Gift Horses Gift Horses

A Poem by Moflo



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Curious Alice Curious Alice

A Poem by OT


memorials... memorials...

A Poem by Brad


Grey Grey

A Poem by OT