Pure joy

Pure joy

A Story by Moniba

Every day, when coming home from college, I have to go over a pedestrian bridge. I don't like that bridge, actually, bridges have always  scared me. It's not the fear of height, it's actually the environment of an over-head pedestrian bridge. They're metal, and when I walk over them, they produce sounds. And then there are those people. They sit there on the bridge all day, occupying its sides and corners... They sit there sometimes to just sit, and sometimes to sell something, while sometimes they beg. It's often quite scary,especially if i'm alone. The fear of walking past all those people, alone, compels me to pray. Sincerely. 
There is always a woman  there, who sits with her hands spread for alms, and her little girl sits beside her. They're often playing, or just sitting there looking at the passing people. Then there's an old man who sits at one side, with a huge box, in which he presents several rings, to sell. And then at the end there's a helpless, handicapped man...who just sits there every day.
One afternoon, as I was walking by the woman and her child who sit there everyday, two school girls were walking ahead of me.One of them had a paper cone in her hand. The eyes of that little girl literally lit up at the sight of that peculiar looking paper cone. Upon passing, the school girl handed the cone to that little girl. She held it in her hands as if it was a prize... Something to be cherished. The look on her face was captivating. The pure joyand happiness, at such a small gesture of care and kindness.

© 2013 Moniba


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

59 Views
Added on February 23, 2013
Last Updated on February 23, 2013

Author

Moniba
Moniba

Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan



About
I'm an eighteen year old, Muslim and Pakistani. I like simple yet poetic pieces of writing(prose and poetry), and I have a thing for dictionaries. more..

Writing
For Eternity For Eternity

A Poem by Moniba