Laundry

Laundry

A Poem by Monners
"

la la la

"

images splatter on the wall from the reflection of light off of characters faces

standing covered in blood

yet im completely insensitive

unaffected

unemotional

empty

hollow

like the laundry basket in the hallway

sitting by its lonesome

wondering what its purpose in life is

certainly not to haul laundry up and down the stairs

im more of a thrower off the railing than a carrier

hence the unoccupied basket

furthering my hollow feeling

by contemplating the purpose of an object in my line of sight

distracting the hollow of my soul

no feeling

about anything

except maybe that the pink satin dress i tried on today didn't flatter anything

the diet starts tomorrow

a picture of the dress hugging a beautiful brunette model decorates my mirror

a constant reminder

of wanting to be perfect

but will i ever be happy?

i used to have what i long for now

and what i longed for then is what i have

maybe its never satisfied

the chase for yet another unfilled void

but what is my purpose?

am i as useless as the basket?

kicked to the corner for a rainy day

on sale, so why not buy it?

but do you really need it?

id like to think so

but lately it doesn't feel that way

no

not at all.

© 2008 Monners


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting approach to compare your life to the laundry basket... you right in that life sometimes becomes just a routine of doing work and chores you wonder what is the purpose to life... love the poems realism to how most of us feel at least once a day.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I don't get the lower case "i" if those are on purpose or not. Because of how little that you tend to feel about yourself in this poem. The fact that you don't seem enough of yourself to think of yourself proper or if it's just some mistake. Another thing that I don't seem to understand is the fact that you five quesiton marks and no capital letters.

Is the reason that this is very introspective have to do with the fact that it was written after New Year's?

I like the use of the laundry basket anology. It seems that if we are not being used for whatever purpose that we see that ourselves should be doing then we think that we are useless and life doesn't seem to make much sense in those ways. Some people are told that they can be whatever they want to be when they are a child but it seems to mess up some because then there's no real direction as which way to go.

Captilism seem to sink in towards the end of this poem. The whole part of do I belong to this society I particpate by buying what they sell me. I partake by trying to fit the standard. And yet there's a realization that it doesn't have to be I like that point. The fact that buying more things or trying to look a certian way doesn't really help a person feel graitified.



Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 3 people found this review constructive.

i was wondering about the laundry basket... to me i would think i would be jealous that it's purpose is already defined. it's made to do one thing. it's simple. life and all it's expectations cause us grief and anxiety trying to fill the void that is contantly changing to society's demands.

i like the line about throwing off the railing. that's a cool way to describe your personality.

we've all had the blues about not fitting into our favorite clothes. i had that feeling yesterday. *sigh* thanks for sharing such personal stuff.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
A very personal and emotional poem. I like it. But am so sorry how ur feeling. U are beautiful, and bet u look really cool in that dress tho ;) This touched me. Good write. Hope u feel better. *Hugs*

Mikey

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 6, 2008

Author

Monners
Monners

Chicago, IL



About
I'm 22 and like the environment. Lets101 Quizzes - blog quizzes www.myspace.com/ifyouretheshoreimthewaves more..

Writing
I Miss Him I Miss Him

A Story by Monners


Infatuation Infatuation

A Story by Monners


Back Home Back Home

A Poem by Monners



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..