Fernsend

Fernsend

A Story by Morchantwen

I was very excited about moving to the country when I was first informed of it. Fernsend was a large house with gardens so neglected that one could easily pretend they were forests. I enjoyed the first three weeks getting lost in the twisting halls of the house and the disappearing paths of the gardens. It was at the beginning of the fourth week that I noticed some weird was going on. For a start I've always had a great talent for losing things. If I had been Cinderella I would have lost both shoes and my tiara plus the pumpkin coach and I don't know probably the handsome prince as well. For the first week or so I had great difficulty in finding things because there were so many rooms in Fernsend. It got easier somehow during the second and third week, I would find things quickly in places where maybe I'd left them but I wasn't sure but in the fourth week I found everything I lost in the same place. In a corner in the dining room. Everyone was getting annoyed at me for leaving my things there all the time. It creeped me out slightly but it was convenient. Then one day I went to check if the bracelet I'd lost that morning had turned up there yet. It hadn't but there was a posy of pansies. I asked around but no one knew where they had come from. I put them in a vase in my room. The next day my bracelet was there in the corner with a big sunflower. I didn't ask this time I just took it. Flowers would turn up everyday after that. I began to think that Fernsend was haunted by an adoring ghost but no one else seemed to notice anything. And then chocolates turned up. Yup, chocolates. Flowers are one thing but chocolates are another. Where on earth does a ghost get chocolates from? I didn't recognize them as a brand I'd seen before and I was doubtful as to whether or not I should eat them. But I didnt' want to offend ghostie so I ate them anyway. After a bit I got use to ghostie even if I never saw him. He was certainly very useful to have around. One day I explored some newly discovered paths in the back garden and then deciding it was time for lunch I tried to find my way back to the house. I had been exploring for about two hours so I wasnt' concerned when after an hour or so of searching I still hadn't found my way back. Finally I began to get worried it was about afternoon tea time and my surroundings didn't look familiar at all. I sat down on the ground and shutting my eyes tight, tried to picture how the path had looked on my way there. A twig snapped and my eyes flew open in alarm. At first I saw nothing but then I noticed some tiny flowers sprinkled along the path. Had they been there before? I couldn't remember but I optimisticly began to follow them. When I got to a fork in the path, flowers were on the one on the left. So all though the path on the right looked vaguely familiar I continued to follow the flowers.  Within half an hour I found myself back at the house. I was so pleased that after a hasty lunch, I baked some unicorn shaped chocolate sugar cookies then I wrapped half of them up nicely and put them in the corner of the dining room. The next morning they were gone and my usual gift of chocolates and flowers (jasmine this time) were in its place. It became our thing. Our presents to each other were not always food and flowers. Once I left a really cool pen I'd bought and the next day I received a rock with pretty swirling colours in it. It was excting to wake up each morning wonder what I'd get that day. My family thought I was childishly playing a game with myself. I didn't bother enlightening them. It was much nicer to keep it a secret.
I was at home alone one day baking cupcakes and singing at the top of my lungs. My family had gone to the beach or some place without telling me so I'd decided to make something nice for me and my invisible friend while I could decorate them without my family eating most of them before I was done decorating them. I was almost done with the sprinkles when I got to the dramatic part of the song I was singing. I was prancing around the dining room table waving my arms about and bellowing "TAKE MY HAND!" when I felt unseen fingers wrap themselves around mine. For a moment I froze and then putting out a searching hand I found an invisible shoulder. An unseen arm wrapped around my waist, music filled the air and together we danced.

© 2017 Morchantwen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

66 Views
Added on February 28, 2017
Last Updated on April 2, 2017