The House

The House

A Story by Mousefairy
"

Getting a new house isn't always awesome..

"

It seemed like they had been driving forever. Amy looked out of the tinted window in the limousine, watching the trunks of so many beech trees fly by as they drove down this road and that. It was early autumn, so the leaves would fall from the trees when a gust of wind hit them. Caleb was squirming from boredom beside her.

“Cornelia won’t you play something with me?” He asked. Cornelia looked up from her phone and down at her little brother.

“Caleb you asked me that five minutes ago, it’s still a no.” Amy could not stand the disappointment in his eyes.

“Okay I will play with you, how about I spy?” Caleb jumped in his seat with delight and told her he spied with his little eye something that was blue. She guessed it was his jeans and she was right. Then she spied something yellow and he had to guess three times before he said “Cornelias phone cover?”

“You’re getting good at this game” Amy said, and Caleb laughed.

“I spy with my little eye,” Warren said from the drivers seat, “something big and white”.

“Hey it’s my turn!” Caleb said.

“I know, but why don’t you try guessing mine,” Warren said, as he pulled the car to the side.

“Are we there?!” Caleb and Cornelia yelped at the same time. Amy threw open the door and jumped out of the car, turned around and...

“You have got to be joking?” Cornelia said, at the same time Amy thought it.

The house in front of them was old, to say the least. Amy estimated it was built before her father was born, and that was saying something, considering her father was almost 200 years old. The walls looked bent, as though the house had become heavier for the foundation to carry over the years. Some would assume that being a vampire meant having seen houses like this one being built, but they couldn’t be more wrong. Amy hadn’t been born to see world war two, let alone the construction of houses like the one she was looking at now.

“Cornelia you said it would be a cool house!” Caleb complained, as he took a step closer to inspect the dusty blue white paint that was peeling of the fence by the sidewalk.

“It was supposed to be!” She spun on her heels and gave her sister an intense glare that made her red eyes seem ready to set the house on fire. “Did you know about this?!”

Amy didn’t even hesitate before exploding with an indignant “No!” Her father had told them he had found the perfect house for them since they really wanted to move out and try living on their own. That had been one of the conditions he had set for “letting” them move out. He got to pick the house, plus Amy and Cornelia had to live together, not in separate houses. At the time it had seemed like a good idea and they had hugged and thanked their father and been so excited, they hadn’t even considered it would be something like this.

They both turned their heads as they heard a car around the corner, it turned and sure enough, it was their fathers’ limo. The sisters took their most accusing stance and glared as the limo parked, the driver Symon stepped out of the car, walked around it at vampire speed and opened the door. The intimidating figure of Marlowe Adley stepped out of the limousine and out into the sun. As any wise vampire would he was wearing a hat, sunglasses and black gloves, making sure as much flesh as possible was covered.

Of course it isn’t because vampires burst into flames as soon as the sun touches their skin. They can actually stay in the sun for several minutes without experiencing any pain other than a slight discomfort. For a class A vampire it would take at least half an hour in direct sunlight before it would be fatal. Marlowe Adley was an imposing man. He was tall, dark haired, broad shouldered and had a jawline like a marble statue from the 12th century. Even when he smiled, as he did now, it looked like it strained him. That slight curve of the lips just didn’t belong on his face.

“My girls! How do you like your new house?” They hardly waited for him to finish his sentence before breaking out in protests. He raised a hand and they fell silent. He walked past them and stopped next to his son who was looking intently at the house.

“What do you think Caleb?” They boy looked up at his father and back to the house. “Cornelia said it would be cool,” he answered.

“And this is not… Cool as you young ones would say?”

“No, it’s old and broken,” said Caleb. “Are you going to fix it father?”

Amy looked up. This idea hadn’t even occurred to her. She looked at her father, the house, Cornelia, the house again and her father again. It could be done she supposed. It sure wouldn’t be cheap, but it wasn’t impossible and if it was done properly, it could end out pretty good. She looked intently at her father and tried to read what was in his eyes. The edges of his mouth twitched, and the smile for one of those rare times reached his eyes as he said, “no son, I am not. Your sisters are.”

© 2013 Mousefairy


Author's Note

Mousefairy
This is a side story for a big story I'm working on - I'm not a native english speaker so there may be some errors

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Your english is fine and I appreciate the fact that there are no major spelling errors. As for the story itself, it's a bit boring and uneventful I'm afraid. Perhaps as you say it might be better with the complete story. It might help a little to form more clear paragraphs so it doesn't look bunched together also. People get afraid to read anything that looks daunting. Just my opinion, others may disagree. You have talent, keep writing.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I do know it is quite uneventfull, and it isn't supposed to be a stand alone story, but a friend told me I should upload anything I have, just to get some feedback on how I write, maybe more han about what I write..

Posted 10 Years Ago


It is well written, but, as Relic said before me, uneventful. You did a fairly decent job showing the different personalites of the characters, though more would be apreciated to really bring attention to the characters. So far all I get from it is of a normal, albet vampyric, family.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Your english is fine and I appreciate the fact that there are no major spelling errors. As for the story itself, it's a bit boring and uneventful I'm afraid. Perhaps as you say it might be better with the complete story. It might help a little to form more clear paragraphs so it doesn't look bunched together also. People get afraid to read anything that looks daunting. Just my opinion, others may disagree. You have talent, keep writing.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

178 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 20, 2013
Last Updated on October 20, 2013
Tags: Shortstory, vampire, moving, family

Author

Mousefairy
Mousefairy

Copenhagen, Denmark



About
I'm a 19 year old girl living in Denmark who has thought about putting something in writing for years. I've tried I don't know how many times to write something but I never finish.. I hope this will b.. more..

Writing
First sight First sight

A Chapter by Mousefairy


Angels Angels

A Book by Mousefairy


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Mousefairy