My Soap Box

My Soap Box

A Poem by Mr. Lopez
"

Just some food for thought

"
 

My soapbox

 

My soap box is almost worn out but there is still life left in it so here I go. I am reaching out to try and help someone who may not realize that they need help. My words may fall on deaf ears but those same ears will be opened one day and then they may make more sense then they do now.  You see, I have walked the path that so many before me have already traveled and learned the hard way. This seems to be the way that most of us learn but not all. The well worn path was traveled by wise men as they too walked down the mountain of truth. The truth in ourselves is right in front of our eyes but we chose not to see. Smiling faces walking up the hill and knowing glances from those coming down. Sometimes there are words of warning by the wise but they usually are met with snickers. You may think that you’re in control but in reality your not. The results are always the same.  “It’s all fun and games until someone gets hurt” they say. I’m here to tell you it’s true. I have seen too many people ruin their lives with drugs and alcohol. My self included. Someday, somehow, somewhere. You will lose.  Some have lost everything precious to them before they could see. Some lost their lives and for them it is too late. Some believe that in moderation they are in control. And others already know better and just don’t give a damn. But there is still hope! I know, because I have been in all of their shoes just short of losing my own life. And I did come close. If you play on the edge of this cliff know that the fall will kill you or someone you love.  Take a long hard look at yourself. Know that the end of the road leads to nowhere. Have respect for your precious life because, believe me, it is short.  Temptation can be very strong and we as humans are oh so weak. The pressure to partake can be overwhelming. But the end result is always the same. Nowhere. “Just say no” they said coming down the mountain. And, yes, I laughed. “That will never be me “I said. Yet here I am coming down the mountain of truth to stand on my soap box. Calling out to anyone who will listen. Don’t fall victim to the false promises of the enemy. Because I assure you they are false. Don’t be pressured by the sharp tongue of the enemy. His words are meant to mislead and destroy. If I sound like an old fuddy duddy, party pooper, then so be it. You fall into the category of those who will only learn the hard way and will yourselves be coming down the mountain, with knowing glances and words of warning. Oh yeah ….don‘t forget to bring your box.

 

© 2008 Mr. Lopez


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

wise and very inspirational. :) thank you so much for sharing your wisdom to me!
i love the ending, hits me home!

i myself is anti-smoke and substance abuse, so, rather than getting high with drugs and alcohol and all that substance, i suggest getting "high" with your words instead!

Posted 15 Years Ago


you seem to have gone through alot, so i trust that what you say is for the better.

i feel like you have already changed me, just by reading your stories and poems...

you have filled me up where there is nothing.....

thanks..

~may

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I cna relate to this thank you for sharing it. I actually cryed it hit a nerve somehow.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I could relate and I appreciate this piece. I wish I could have just taken someone's word for the problems that addiction would cause me in the long run. I had to hit my own rock bottom, as everyone has one. Unfortunately, some addict's rock bottom is death. I enjoy reading other recovering addict's work. We, recovering addicts, have a strength that many will never know. We had to - to survive. This piece is very informative and to the point. I have nothing but respect for this one!!!!! Way to go!!!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very wise words. I hope the deaf ears will listen before it is too late.
(I couldn't help noticing the spelling mistake in the beginning: depths? Shouldn't that be deaf?

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

219 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 17, 2008
Last Updated on March 23, 2008

Author

Mr. Lopez
Mr. Lopez

Chandler, AZ



About
I was born in Texas October of 1966. Raised in California where i fell in love with music and art. I came from a large , poor family where the most valuable thing we ownwed was our love for each other.. more..

Writing
No Worries No Worries

A Poem by Mr. Lopez


Confused Confused

A Poem by Mr. Lopez