Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114
The Desert Speaks To Me

The Desert Speaks To Me

A Story by Mr. Lopez

Its easy to get trapped within the confines of a concrete jungle and get lost in the hustle and bustle of a chaotic cycle. Always rushing from one appointment or commitment to another. Yet when i find myself unable to escape the pressures of everyday life in body, my mind wonders off, seeking refuge in those places that stir in me a true sense of being. Clarifying my place on earth. Into serenity my thoughts drift to the calm of the desert.

  Wether it be beneath a canopy of stars in the dark blue shadows from a lone boulder, or in scented fields of wild flowers on a spring day. Here i can find true peace.
  The desert has a way of reminding me of how small i am in the scheme of life. It humbles me almost every time I'm there. I find humility in its calm and sometimes unforgiving nature.
   There is honesty among the universal language of simplistic silence that i can't find in people. Like the way a beautiful cactus produces a painful sting when its protective thorns are challenged. Matched only by the violent crash of a midnight lightning strike. Here among the monoliths of stone , both grace and unforgiving live side by side. But when I'm here ,I always know where I stand and who I am. living on borrowed time, I am but a visitor.
  There is truth in the song of the canyon wren, who flaunts his independence and freedom for any and all who will listen. Without shame, he proclaims that this small piece of desert is his. His struggles are not unlike mine. He seeks companionship, commitment and loyalty in a mate. To procreate and pass on his lessons learned to future generations. Passing on what God so freely gave to him.
  The desert owl holds the wisdom of the night and teaches me patients. He is heard but never seen and hunts with precision and mercy.
  I see strength in the rushing waters of the desert stream, who fights his way through steep canyon walls. Driven by pure instinct, he carves out his niche in time. Molding the very earth that he touches and along the way polishing a stone or two.
  I find a sense of family in the cry of the coyote, when in unison the pack sings into the night sky. Just to be silenced as abruptly as they came into calling.
  The reflective light in a single drop of rain, when perched upon the flowers peddle , shows me that growth comes after the storm. And in that single drop of rain i find an ocean of hope.
  Its no wonder that so many come from so far away to experience the dark greens of the Palo Verde. accompanied by the vibrant violets and delicate wild daisy. Tucked away in the cool corners of a red canyon are the ghosts of so many travelers whose stories may be different . But their dreams , hopes and struggles are much the same as mine. I am reminded that my time here is but a hiccup. That when i finally go back to the earth from which i came, the strength and truths of the desert will continue to be in all its simple beauty.

© 2009 Mr. Lopez


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I have to say, God has giving you such a great gift of expression, With words & imagination !! being able visualize and express your self in that manner.It is truly a God given gift,being able to apply it to your life. I am so proud of you. God is with you. I pray peace,greater than the dessart' peace for you, Mr Lopez

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I have to say, God has giving you such a great gift of expression, With words & imagination !! being able visualize and express your self in that manner.It is truly a God given gift,being able to apply it to your life. I am so proud of you. God is with you. I pray peace,greater than the dessart' peace for you, Mr Lopez

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nice!

Posted 15 Years Ago


I understand where you are coming from when you say how easy it is to get caught in the hustle and bustle. Sometimes it is worse when you seem to be caught up in the chaos but in reality, you feel like you are a robot going through the motions. I find it very intriguing that you are able to let your mind rest and imagine beauty in your passion - the desert. To be able to allow your mind to take a journey as you so wonderfully describe here, requires pure positive energy to flow inside. Or perhaps this is a gift from God, he gives you inner peace. I know that in order to have this inner peace, there must be forgiveness of oneself.

Once again, your words touched me and I have much admiration for you.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
3 Reviews
Added on December 18, 2008
Last Updated on January 26, 2009

Author

Mr. Lopez
Mr. Lopez

Chandler, AZ



About
I was born in Texas October of 1966. Raised in California where i fell in love with music and art. I came from a large , poor family where the most valuable thing we ownwed was our love for each other.. more..

Writing
No Worries No Worries

A Poem by Mr. Lopez


Confused Confused

A Poem by Mr. Lopez