Spydo (working title)

Spydo (working title)

A Story by Mrowley
"

I don't see much children's literature here. I'm new to the genre myself. Yeah, I know it's not finished. But with some encouragement and constructive criticism maybe it can be!

"
Sally wasn't scared of the dark. She didn't mind sleeping by herself, and she didn't just imagine things. But she did have a very serious problem. For on certain nights a sneaky, crawly something wandered her house collecting things while the rest of her family slept. She called the creature Spydo.


Spydo was a large, furry thing with three round eyes, pointy teeth and eight hairy legs that made a soft clompity sound as they crept through the dark. Sally would watch helplessly from her covers as the creature gathered socks, toys, coins, and other small trinkets from around the house. As quickly as it appeared it would vanish again. She had no idea where the thing came from or where it disappeared to by morning. 


Waking her parents was no use. By the time they got up the creature was nowhere to be found. Dad would tell her it was only a dream and Mom would leave the hallway light on before going back to bed. 


"There's no such thing as Spydos," Dad told her one morning at breakfast. "If there was, they would have one in the zoo."

Sally shook her head. "They would never be able to catch one. He's too fast."

"Why don't your father and I ever hear Spydo sneaking around?" Mom asked. 

Sally knew that the real answer was because Dad snored so loud, but she was too polite to say so. "Maybe only kids can hear him," she said.

"Such an imagination," Mom sighed.

Sally sighed too. Her parents didn't believe her problem, and that was perhaps the biggest problem of all.

Things only got worse as time went on. Spydo was poking around more often and Sally found it harder and harder to get to sleep. Her parents began to notice that certain items were missing.

"Why do my socks keep disappearing?" Dad asked one day as the family was doing laundry. 

"Good question," Mom said. "I'd like to know what's been happening to my shoes."

"Maybe there really is a Spydo in the house," Dad said, winking at Sally. 

"Harold," Mom said. Dad finished folding his socks.

© 2012 Mrowley


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
Added on August 2, 2012
Last Updated on August 2, 2012
Tags: Children, creature, fantasy

Author

Mrowley
Mrowley

Tooele, UT